DVD Verdict: Review of 1408



HERE is a recent review of 1408 two disc collectors set by DVD Verdict.  I like this website, because their reviews are very thorough. 

This is good, and pretty well cuts right to the chase:

The scene between Enslin and Mr. Olin, which was a major part of King's story, is great fun to watch. Cusack and Jackson play well off each other, and hearing Jackson recount the room's bloody history is downright bone-chilling (though, let's face it, he could read lunch specials off the hotel's menu and I'd be just as enthralled). Everything leading up to Enslin actually entering the room establishes a feeling of mounting dread. The set-up is, unfortunately, so strong the film's eventual reveals can't help but disappoint.


Read the entire review, I really like the format that DVD Verdict uses.

3 comments:

  1. I saw the movie when it came out in the theatre, but I haven't revisited it since. I should make it one of my Halloween movies this year...

    My memory of it is that it had a lot of good elements, but never managed to click as a whole. (Similar to the remake of "The Thing," which I just got back from watching.) Good movie, but not one that means much to me. If it wasn't based on a King story, I doubt I'd have ever spared it a second thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this movie much better than I thought it would be. SK's audio version is the best though! "Number 9, number 9"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved 1408. When I saw it, I didn't know it was based off a Stephen King short story, and I thought the creepy atmosphere was amazing and John Cusack gave a very heartfelt performance. I'm a big fan of his acting. Later when I read the story, I was surprised at how different it actually was and what the director/producers had done to make into a full-length movie. I thought they did a good job expanding the story.

    ReplyDelete