DVD Verdict: IT



Patrick Naugle at DVD Verdict has posted a very strong, insightful review of the IT mini-series.  I like the format DVD Verdict takes; it's kind of a "Judge Dread" approach -- they build the case and render the verdict themselves. 

I agree with all of Naugle's conclusions!  I enjoyed the mini-series, but as I mentioned before, I was dismayed when my young children enjoyed it.  They're suppsed to be scared, not excited! 

Naugle brings up some issues I had not considered.  We all know about the small budget, the lame special effects and the made for TV limitations; but Naugle digs a layer deeper into the acting itself.  He gives Harry Anderson, Tim Curry and John Ritter high marks, but no such luck for Richard Thomas.  I had never thought about how much I don't like Thomas in this role!  But he's right, it doesn't work at all!  And I really like Richard Thomas -- usually. 

What Naugle misses is just how good the child actors are.  I find myself very engaged when the kids are on screen, and yawning when the adults take their turn.  Yet, it's the adult actors we remember; could it be because they're the ones who dropped the ball.  Maybe not the actors, maybe the adult story is not as interesting.  Either way, IT is about children, and in the mini-series, the children shine (and float!).

Check it out here: DVD review of IT

2 comments:

  1. I thought Richard Thomas was pretty decent in it. I have to confess, though, I'm so distracted by the gorgeous Annette O'Toole that I scarcely even notice most of the other actors.

    Parts of that miniseries are well-done, and parts aren't. I'd love to see a fresh take on it some day, but only if it is long enough to do the story justice, and then only if somebody spends enough money on it to give it the scope it would require. Otherwise, it's doomed to failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the 1990 mini-series.
    I loved the novel SO much that I sincerely doubt whether any adaption could have lived up to my expectations, but in some small ways Wallace's take on it did. Such as the inspired casting of Tim Curry & his absolutely iconic Penntwise. Plus, some bits & pieces of the kid's tale.
    But, the adults? Ugh!
    I groaned through a lot of their screen time. While I realize that some of the actors went on to more successes in television after IT, I just couldn't help feeling as though most of their efforts were those of somewhat faded sitcom & series stars who were just mailing their performances for the paychecks.
    And, who knows? Maybe Richard Thomas DID do a decent in his role, but I couldn't tell because of what I saw as his tragic mis-casting & I just couldn't get past that ridiculous faux ponytail of his...
    There's all that, plus the sad fact that King's ultimate monster opus featured a VERY sorry line up of creatures onscreen over it's four hour run. Remove Pennywise from the equation & we're left with just a sort of silly Teenage Werewolf & a giant spider puppet.
    We deserved more. Much more IMO.
    Sure, there were budget constraints to consider & GGI was barely in it's infancy yet at the time, but still...

    That's why I'm anxious for the proposed new adaption to finally get off the ground. I very badly want to see what another filmmaker can do with the material.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete