Interview With Lilja of Lilja's Library


For years Hans-Ake Lilja has given Stephen King fans the best, most up to date website out there. Lilja’s Library has been the premier site for Stephen King news, interviews and reviews. It has been a personal favorite for me. I really appreciate the fact that the website is updated so frequently. A genuinely humble man, Lilja took time to answer all of my questions -- and as is true of almost every interaction -- I learned a lot! Note, in particular, his announcement that he is co-author of another new King book.
.
TALK SK: You started the website in 1996 – why?
LILJA: Well, back in 1996 when I started the site Internet was something new and very exciting. I was curious about it and when I didn’t find that many sites about King that had what I wanted, updated news, I decided to start one. At the beginning it was a very simple site, red text on black background and a lot of spinning skulls and other lame stuff. It has evolved since then though.
.
TSK: I know you’re not from the States – tell me about yourself.
LILJA: Not that much to tell really. I’m soon 40 years young living in Sweden with my family. In real life I’m working as a software developer.
. 
TSK: Do you have a personal favorite Stephen King work? 
LILJA: I do but it’s impossible to pick just one so please don’t ask me to do that. I really love The Long Walk. The Stand is a great book. The Talisman and IT as well. Those are the once I’d probably pick as my favorite. Oh, and The Dark Tower as well. Can’t forget that one.
.
TSK: Do you have a preferred format; audio, paperback, kindle?
LILJA: I love a new and unread hardback. When you know you have a whole book ahead of you. That’s something special. I also like to listen to audio books. Both because it’s very interesting to hear someone else narrating the books but also because it’s very practical. You can listen almost anytime, whatever you do.
.
TSK: You talk to a lot of Stephen King fans, what do you think the current favorite book is? Is it still The Stand?
LILJA: Well, people ask me what my favorite book is more often than I do but I would say that from what I hear The Dark Tower is the favorite.
.
TSK: You recently expanded the website to facebook and twitter – how was the response?
LILJA: Fantastic. I was skeptic to Facebook and Twitter but it’s working out so well for me and the site. It’s a fantastic way to reach out to people and also getting quick response. I love it and from what I hear people seems to appreciate it as well.
.
TSK: Lilja's Library website is huge. Is there a section of your site that you think people tend to miss or overlook?
LILJA: I hope not but if I were to pick the one that people might look the least at it’s the International section. Personally I love all the foreign covers. It’s very interesting to see how the interpret King’s bookcovers in different countries. I wish that I could have more covers but that would be too much work.
.
TSK: I notice your guest book is signed from all over the world. Where are the largest clusters of King fans? Do you know?
LILJA: If you mean among my readers it’s definitely the US. If you mean in the world it’s probably where there are most people living.
.
TSK: Do you enjoy the entire horror genre, or are you primarily a S.K. fan?
LILJA: I enjoy all horror. Unfortunately though I don’t get as much time to read as I wish to. Besides running Lilja’s Library I’m also one of two people running a Swedish King fan site (www.Foljeslagarna.com) and I’m a DVD reviewer (http://www.dvdkritik.se/). I do see a lot of horror movies though.
.
TSK: King and his work is so prolific, do you find it hard to keep up with so many books, movies, and now comic books?
LILJA: No, it’s a joy and I love the fact that there are so much stuff out there. Imagine if King was only to write one book every second or third year. We’d go crazy.
.
TSK: You have a book coming out this Summer, how is it unique in an ocean of Stephen King books?
LILJA: I hope it’s more personal. The reviews and interviews in it was not written as part of a book. It was written out of joy for King’s work by a fan. Hopefully that shines though. I also hope that my interviews will be somewhat more personal than many other and since I’m a fan and not a journalist I hope I’m actually asking what people want to hear and not the same old questions that’s been asked over and over again.
.
TSK: Just from reading the table of contents, the book must be huge! How is it different from the website?
LILJA: It’s 512 pages huge and mostly the stuff in it is from the website but this version is easier to put in the book case than the website J Just kidding. There are stuff in the book that hasn’t been published on the website. Exclusive stuff for the book.
.
TSK: Have you published any other books?
LILJA: No but I have a book coming out in 2011. It’s called “The Illustrated Stephen King Movie Trivia Book” that I wrote with Brian Freeman and Kevin Quigley. It’s a movie quiz book that I hope you shall all love.
.
TSK: What’s the release date for Lilja’s Library?
LILJA: The most precise date I have today is mid July but I hope to have an exact date in a week or so.
.
TSK: Anything I forgot to ask? . . .
LILJA: No, I think you covered it all… If anyone has anything they want to ask after reading this, just go ahead and mail me. Or visit me on Facebook and Twitter.  
.
TSK: Thank you so much for your time and commitment to the Stephen King fans.
LILJA: Thanks! It was a pleasure.
.
Links:
*Purchase Lilja's Library the book: http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/lilja01

1 comment:

  1. This guy is absolutely the greatest! His site is a blast to visit and as far as King fans go he's the Real Deal! Way to go hans...can't wait for the book man!!!

    ReplyDelete