The Empire Strikes Back Turns 30


30 years ago today we were transported back to the world of Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader and Princess Lea. With the release of The Empire Strikes Back, George Lucas hit a home run. Of the six movies, Empire is by far my favorite. It’s dark, the snow battle is beyond awesome, the chase through the asteroids is great and most of all we learned that Darth Vader is Luke’s second cousin – or something like that.
.
Oh, and another great thing about Empire – there was no annoying Death Star super spaceship that could blow up planets. The Death Star left me rolling my eyes, even as a kid. A cool idea, but who’s the idiot who connected an external tunnel to the self destruct button? Did they not think that someone might fly down their little canyon and press the self destruct button? And then they did it again in Jedi! But I digress. Anyway, Empire is full of good, head on battles. Walkers, Falcon, Star Destroyers – and no teddy bears whomping on the Scout Walkers.
.
I'm passionate about Star Wars because it was so central to my childhood. It was everything! I had the toys, posters (I hung them with nails, to my parents chagrin) and used metal shelves to land spaceships on pretending they were mighty Star Destroyers -- never a lame Death Star. I went to school every day with a Empire Strikes Back lunch box, until it rusted. Star Wars was something my grandparents knew nothing about; my prents accepted as important, but didn't know just HOW important it was.
.
The King Connection:
.
So I found myself asking: is there a connection to the Stephen King universe? Well, of course there is! Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote the script for The Empire Strike Back also directed Stephen King’s Dreamcatcher.
.
In Wolves of the Calla, King described the robot andy as looking like C-3PO.
.
Under the topic, "Stephen King writes Star Wars" poster Johnny Flynn writes, "the villains in the book, the Wolves (riders on horses), use these futuristic weapons called light sticks to do their dirty work. In the finale of that book, when the riders come to town and finally use them in a battle, it is revealed that the light sticks are actually light sabers. King says this with some awe in the book and, in fact, It seems that most of the wolves’ weapons are derived from Harry Potter or the Star Wars series, just as most of the books’ language derives from Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings." http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_community/b10012/14802220/p1/
.
I already suggested that the best director for the Dark Tower would be George Lucas. I won't repeat what a good idea I think this is -- inspired -- brilliant -- like it's from another universe -- we're talking Yoda level of thinking here, okay. http://talkstephenking.blogspot.com/2010/05/just-thought.html
.Dark Tower Star Wars Connection
Remember what the file about Big Jim in Under The Dome was named? You bet you do. . . it was the "Veder file" wasn't it! Liking Big Jim to Darth hismelf was a little over the top. Just because Big Jim wasn't nearly as cool as Darth Vader. See, Darth wasn't one bit wimp, but Big Jim was really a giant wimp. Big Jim wouldn't have fought Luke Skywalker, he would have gotten one of his pee-on's to do it.
.Stephen King Empire Strikes back
I also already noted that Stephen King's Carrie shared casting with George Lucas' original Star Wars.
.Stephen King Star wars
In 1980, when Empire Strikes Back came out, Stephen King had two big projects hit the public. First, the movie The Shining was released and second his novel Fire Starter was published. Also in 1980 Stephen King's short story The Mist first appeared in a collection of stories titled Dark Forces.
.
Now for the big question: Dare I tell my wife that when I drive our mini-van, I still pretend I'm flying the X-Wing fighter? Then she might understand those tickets. . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment