411 Mania Goes Stephen King List Crazy



411 Mania loves making list!  Their Five by Five Halloween (HERE) has several Stephen King hits. 

The Shining comes in #4 on their scariest movies of all time list.  #4 ain't bad. . . but I don't understand how they didn't see Sleepwalkers truly is the scariest movie ever.  Anyway, about the Shining: "The Shining is our most recent entry onto the list. Though hated by its creator, Stephen King , it's beloved by just about everyone else. If it's not Jack Nicholson's most memorable performance, it's right up there. There are so many images from this film that will never be forgotten…."

Under "FIVE FILMS NOTICEABLY ABSENT" Stephen King's Misery rides in at #3.

And then they have an entire 5 best Stephen King films. 
 1. The Shining
2.
Pet Sematary
3. Carrie
4. Creepshow
5. Salem's Lot

I find this list a little odd, but I don't think anyone would argue with The Shining as the top choice whether King likes it or not. Again, the film focuses on Jack Torrance as the main antagonist as opposed to the hotel itself, but I think there's enough there that we know the hotel is pretty freaking evil and is behind most of what Jack is doing. Not King's best book, but I've got no argument against it being his best horr movie…..I am glad that Pet Sematary made the list. It is extremely underrated as a horror book and film. I think it's overlooked because it was put out during that time where King books weren't getting good treatment on the big screen and it's kind of thrown in that mix unfairly. Miko Hughes is amazing for being as young as he was…..I don't think any list of King's would be complete without Carrie. The star aligned just right for this one, making a horror classic.  King movies started out so good. What happen in the 80s?.....I like Creepshow. Do I think it should be rated higher than the likes of Cujo, The Mist , Misery, Secret Windo or Silver Bullet? Probably not, but that's my personal opinion. King, himself, gives a nice performance in Creepshow. A solid film, no doubt…..A strange flick rounds us out as Salem's Lot was originally a TV movie and it's not even close to the best thing King has had on TV. I'd put The Stand, IT, Storm of the Century , Rose Red, Kingdom Hospital and Sometimes They Come Back all out in front of it. Somebody liked it enough to give it this many points!

2 comments:

  1. If we're talking scary movies and not including stuff like Shawshank and Stand by Me, my top 10 King movies would look something like this:

    #1 -- The Shining
    #2 -- The Mist
    #3 -- Storm of the Century
    #4 -- Misery
    #5 -- Christine
    #6 -- Secret Window
    #7 -- Salem's Lot (1978)
    #8 -- Creepshow
    #9 -- 1408
    #10-- Carrie (1976)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like everything on your list, but would change the order:

    #1 The Mist
    #2 The Shining
    #3 Carrie

    and the rest as is. . .

    david

    ReplyDelete