Gerard Lough's THE BOOGEYMAN


I had the opportunity to watch Gerard Lough's dollar baby, The Boogeyman.  The movie stars Simon Fogarty and Michael Parle. 

Director Gerard Lough told The Irish Independent reporter, Anita Guidera, "I am not a big horror fan but I wanted to make a film that had people on the edge of their seats and not just show blood and guts. . . I was so lucky with the cast and crew that I worked with and I think we have produced a really good film."
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.  Here's why:

1. It's not a Hollywood big budget monster movie.  I like those!  But I also enjoy simple stories.  What is awkward is when a simple, straightforward story tries to be something it is not.  The Boogeyman makes no attempt.  The film is comfortable in its own skin. . . unlike the Boogeyman himself!

2. The story shines.  Like King's short story, the movie keeps its focus on the father who claims to have murdered his children.  There are not a lot of speaking roles, as the narrator carries us from scene to scene.  This works, for a short movie! 

3. I actually found the film scary.  I didn't expect to!  The story moves with a dreamy, nightmarish feel that is unnerving.  Like the short story, the viewer finds themselves asking, "Where is this going?"

4. The story is true to King's original work.  It flows naturally, and logically, from scene to scene.  It does not attempt to build side characters or introduce subplots to extend the story. 

I look forward to seeing more from Gerard Lough.


1 comment: