Warner Brothers eyes The Dark Tower

picture credit: hollywood.com


Mike Fleming at Deadline.com  has posted news that Warner Brothers is very interested in the property.  (HERE)  If all goes well, filming could take place as soon as 2013.  That's assuming, of course, that the world doesn't end in 2012.


Fleming writes: 
Warner Bro's is now very close to a deal that will give Ron Howard the chance to direct at least the first feature, potentially with Javier Bardem starring as gunslinger Roland Deschain. And Akiva Goldsman (who wrote the script) is producing with Brian Grazer and the author. 
Basically the studio bought Goldsman’s script and are paying him to do a polish. Howard remains attached to direct, likely in first-quarter 2013. Pic is a co-production between Goldsman’s Weed Road and Howard and Grazer’s Imagine. Bardem’s participation would depend upon his availability, but he was firmly attached when the project was at Universal.


Fleming also says, "I’d heard Warner Bros has been interested for some time, and the arrangement with sister studio HBO makes a lot of sense."


Good news for all, isn't it?!  Check out the full article.  The Dark Tower draws ever closer!  Until then, go read The Wind Through The Keyhole.

6 comments:

  1. I'm all for it, although I've still got reservations as to how all seven novels can be compressed into a mere three movies. That'll be a challenge, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Javier Bardem??? Please not him!!! He would kill my image of Roland... I've always imagined him as someone like Viggo Mortensen and I'm sure other fans will agree... Anyway, we still have to wait until the W.B. make the final decision =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the Rings trilogy was released in theaters a while back, J.R.R. tolkien's son Christopher went on the record as saying he wasn't sure the Rings books could ever be properly realized on the screen, even they were put on one.

    I admit I've got sort of the same reservations, and it doesn't help that in my mind Roland has Clint Eastwood's voice and even something of his looks circa Hang Em' High, he looks most like Roland on the posters for the film along with the movie itself.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Viggo but imo he's out, if for no other reason than being in LotR. I don't want Christian Bale playing Superman AND Batman (Halle Berry as Storm AND Catwoman??? ugh) Roland & Aragorn may not be comic book superheroes but in my mind it's the same issue.

    Javier's a strong actor. It's his job to convince us he's Roland. I think he's capable of that. So I'm okay with that choice.

    And even though most of us imagine Roland as Clint and Clint as Roland, unless Clint stumbles into Al's Diner and finds his way back to 1958, I'd say he's a bit too old to be Roland these days. Although Howard tossing him in there like Heston in Burton's Ape movie would give me a chuckle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clint would be my choice, too.
    Totally possible. . . actors don't even really appear in movies anymore -- they're just digitally added. No one had really appeared in a movie since 2002.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bardem all the way as far as I'm concerned.

    If not him, then Bruce Greenwood.

    ReplyDelete