Quigley Review of Wind Through The Keyhole



I always enjoy Kevin Quigley's reviews of King's work -- and his most recent does not disappoint.  Quigley's review of Wind Through the Keyhole is posted at fearnet.

Of course, this story fits between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla.  Quigley calls this a "midquil."  It seems that with Wolves King struck new energy, while things were feeling a bit (forgive me) slow with Wizard.I was surprised to learn that Wind Through the Keyhole is told in the first person.  As Quigley points out, King has been doing a lot of first person lately.   

In Wind Through The Keyhole, we learn that there is an entire book of great adventures called, "The Great Elden Book."  Quigley quotes King: "a fine and terrible compendium that may someday merit publication of its own, as those stories cast light on Mid-World as it once was."

Quigley describes how some readers have developed what he calls "Tower Fatigue" as King includes more and more tower references into his later work.  He argues that the time away from the tower and in particular the main characters has been good for King.

I really liked how Quigley made the case for Keyhole being necessary.  Not just fun or a side trip -- but necessary!  He writes, "Whether readers loved or loathed the ending of the Dark Tower, a book like The Wind Through the Keyhole offers intriguing possibilities."

Check out the review, it's HERE.

4 comments:

  1. It is, indeed, a good and insightful review. I quoted it several times in the review I wrote.

    However, when Quigley refers to the novel being written in the first-person, he is actually referring only to parts of it. The way it is structured, Roland tells a long story to his tet-mates, and it is that section which is in first-person; the rest is traditional third-person.

    It's ALL good, though. Great novel; I can't wait for more people to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was referring specifically to Roland's part of his tale - the second section - not the whole book! Now I hope I was clear. Eek!

    Also, Bryant, I posted a link to your review from my site, Charnel House: http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/index.html Thanks for quoting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was referring specifically to Roland's part of his tale - the second section - not the whole book! Now I hope I was clear. Eek!

    Also, Bryant, I posted a link to your review from my site, Charnel House: http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/index.html Thanks for quoting!

    ReplyDelete