That reminds me of The Book

So. . . this is just for fun.  And, as a preacher, I find this irresistible -- so indulge me, okay!

I was writing another post, and got to thinking how much like the book of Job "Duma Key is."  (That's pronounced "Jobe" not JOB, friends.)  Then I started thinking how other King books have shadows or hints of other Biblical books.  Now, I'm not elevating Mr. King to Scripture!  I'm simply pointing out themes in his writing that remind me of books of the Bible.

Feel free to add to my list.  If it's good, I'll post it to my list. . . if it's not good. . . I'll laugh at you.

1. Duma Key reminds me of the book of Job.  A man who had it all, loses everything, deals with suffering and anger.  Only, at the end, he doesn't get a visit from God so much as he gets a visit from Satan!

2. The Stand reminds me of the book of Revelation.  And, dear friends, it is "Revelation" singular, not "Revelation(s)" -- which would indicate multiple visions. Both deal with the end of the world, the anti-Christ, plagues and the importance of standing firm to the end.

3. Desperation also has hints of the book of Job in it.  I think King may have purposefully made some of the connections with this book.  Desperation confronts the question: If God is good, why do men suffer?  In Job, Satan says to God -- (in effect) -- "you are such an unlikable being that you have to bribe people to love you!  No one would love you if you took away all those blessings.  If you removed the hedge and let me at them, then people would curse you to your face."  In Desperation we also see the hedge removed.  People must decide, while facing evil head on, if they will curse God or embrace faith.

4. Salem's Lot reminds me of the Temptation of Jesus as recorded in the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke).  Father Callahan is weary of facing evil as it presents itself in various forms.  He thinks he can withstand a head on confrontation with raw, pure, evil.  Of course, that is what Christ did in the wilderness.  He confronted the devil.  Only -- the outcomes were different!  Jesus whooped the enemy, while Callahan boogered out.  Jesus' ultimate confrontation with evil took place at a second temptation in Gethsemane.  Callahan runs from his Gethsemane, while Christ embraced the cross "for the joy set before him" as the author of Hebrews said.

5. The Green Mile reminds me of the book of Romans.  Romans outlines the doctrine of redemption.  It specifically emphasizes the concept of one man bearing the sins of mankind.  The Green Mile is about a Christlike figure who bears the sufferings of others and brings healing to the afflicted.  Stephen King's connection to the Gospel is obvious -- the main character is even initialed JC!  In many ways, Green Mile is powerfully retelling the story of the Messiah.  Only, John Coffee didn't rise again.

6. Pet Sematary reminds me of the Gospel of John's recording of Lazarus' death and resurrection.  Only, in Pet Sematary, King deals with the question: Is resurrection a good idea?  What if the dead came back -- messed up?  Thus the theme: Sometimes dead is better.  Interesting, though: King uses quotes in the book from the Gospel of John, but the means by which resurrection takes place is demonic.  That is, the dead are raised here by the power of evil, not the power of God.  Thus, this misplaced hope results in something worse than death itself.

Anyone want to give it a try. . .

2 comments:

  1. Well, you're right Reverend, I "wouldn't" elevate King to scriptural status. However, this is a very good post. The one thing I would do is compare King to another horror writer I've mentioned before, Russell Kirk.

    Kirk wrote tales of terror with a Christian bent in the vein of what he called "The Moral Imagination", a phrase he picked up from Edmund Burke. There's a good website called Ghostly Kirk you can look up to find an overview of Kirk's horror fiction. For me, I think his ideas neatly dovetail with those of King in Danse Macabre.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mention of Storm of The Century? That's a pretty blatantly Biblical story, no? Wages of sin, offering one's son, etc

    ReplyDelete