Quint's review of Wind Through The Keyhole




Quint, over at Ain't It Cool, has a very nice review of Wind Through The Keyhole.  He builds up the review nicely, giving us background that explains his love for the Dark Tower series.

The full review is HERE.
The Man In Black figures into the story, about a small child whose father is killed and he’s put on the path through a deep dark forest in order to save his mother. There are dragons, enchantments, mutants, magic and all types of Mid-World iconography sprinkled throughout. 
The Wind Through The Keyhole feels a lot like The Eyes of the Dragon, King’s pure fantasy book with a lot of tangential Dark Tower connections, and it’s a great note to strike. King is really good at fantasy and doesn’t play in this universe a lot. While I would have loved to have a book that enlightened me a bit more about Roland as a character or given us another adventure with the ka-tet at their peak, I gotta say I was quite happy with this book.
He also offers this insight:
There’s an ease here that I haven’t felt from King since The Wolves of the Calla. I’ve liked many of his novels since, including his more recent 11/22/63, but this one just feels like he’s in his element, even more so than the last two Dark Tower books, which had some amazing things in them, but also felt a bit cluttered and jumbled.

6 comments:

  1. Not bad, though in all fairness while he give nothing away I have to say I've read other reviews that bring more depth to the table.

    Then again, I'm reminded of something C.S. Lewis once said, that just as there are types of books, so also there are types of readers and types of reading, and he proposed a way of weighing a book by scaling according to what type of reader a book attracts.

    His theory was you could judge a book by the type of person who reads it and what kind of thought it creates. For more on this, check out an Experiment in Criticism.

    Just a thought.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. By and large, I find Quint to be a good reviewer (be it of movies, books, tv, or whatever else). With that in mind, I was very glad to find that I agreed with the vast majority of what he said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting for my copy to arrive in the very slow mail. Actually. . . I don't even have notice yet that the mighty DMG has decided to mail it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get the signed-by-King edition? I don't think those have gone out.

    Seems odd that the more-expensive versions are the ones that held up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no, I didn't rise to the level of worthiness required by DMG for them to collect money from me to sell me a signed copy. My money was just lowly ordinary money. To et a signed, you have to meet their expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, its nice paragraph concerning media print, we all understand media
    is a fantastic source of information.

    my blog post is pinterest social media

    ReplyDelete