King Movies The Constant Reader Wants



There is a sludge of remake talk buzzing through Hollywood.  Most of it will probably come to not.  Carrie seems to be a definate "go."  Others, pet Semetery, The Stnad, IT are all a little more questionable. 

By the way, I really liked the TV Carrie remake. 

This leads to two thoughts: What movies would the constant reader like to see?  Second, when should Hollywood consider dropping money on a remake?

First, what should constitute a remake?  Two things:

1. The original was so bad, it just has to be done again. 
But, what we see instead is Hollywood going to old money makers that were great, and seeking to remake them.  What int hew orld is wrong with Carrie or the original Pet semetery? 

Now, when it comes to IT, the mini-series was lacking.  Namely, it was lacking in. . . well, everything.  Tim Curry and the kids were good, and that was about it.  Some would suggest The Stand did not represent the heart of the novel, but I think the mini-series was a fine piece of storytelling.

For the most part, movies we'd like to see redone never will be because the original ruined the market!

Some movies that might do well with a remake:
  • Dreamcatcher.  Somewhere along the way this movie stops being fun and just gets a little -- out there.  The special effects were pretty bad, too.
  • Hearts in Atlantis.  How about a little more of the book, even if it requires a trilogy.
  • Christine.  I like the original -- but I think it could probably be done even better with new technology. 
  • Needful Things.  This would be a great mini-series.
  • Salem's Lot.  I know it's already been done twice . . . and maybe the third time will be the charm, eh.
  • Firestarter.  I know, it was a big budget film.  But King was right -- it didn't work.  I don't think he ever asked for a remake, but it's such a good story!  I think it could be better translated to film.
2. Stephen King thinks it should be remade. 
That's a good reason to remake a movie -- if the author thinks it did not live up to his expectations. 

This was the case with The Shining.  Did I like the Kubrick version?  Sure!  But, honestly, King was right -- it wasn't his novel.  It was his characters, but the novel took such drastically different paths that it seemed fair for King to ask to make a movie more faithful to his story.  What do we think of the remake?  Well, I don't know any fans.  A little . . . well, short on horror and long on yawns would be my off the cuff remark. 


Second, what movies would we like to see put to screen?

Well, y'all are welcome to give your input, I do not intend to speak for everyone else.  Just my opinion.  Which is this: Anything not put to screen already is of some itnerest to me!  So, if it's a King story -- I'm down with it.

Here are some I'd really like to see:

Image credit HERE
1. The Dark Tower.
2. 11.22.63
3. Under The Dome.
4. The Eyes of the Dragon. 
5. The Talisman & Black House.  (And whatever the third novel is going to be.)
6. From a Buick 8
7. Duma Key
8. Blockade Billy.  I know, not much to work with there, but it could be episode of another 4 parter like Creepshow.  Actually, a Creepshow 3 would be a lot of fun!
9. Gerald's Game.  I know, it's impossible because of the nudity and S&M stuff.  But find a way to cloth her, and it's a mainstream horror flick.
10. Rose Madder.  I haven't read the book yet -- but I'd pay the moolah to watch the movie.

Here are some movies that don't get enough credit:


  • The Tommyknockers was actually a pretty good miniseries, in my opinion.
  • The Dark Half.  This is a great film!  Scary, dark and a little nuts. 
  • Secret Window.  I think the movie, while not riviting, fixed a few things that the King story left hanging.  (It was, after all, only a novella.)  I never like stories where it all turns out to be in someone's head.  Either they're crazy or dreaming or having visions.  So I liked the theme that two guys could write the very same story. . . but it all goes to mush after that as our main character go's to the funny farm.
  • Graveyard Shift.  So it's not a master piece -- and it's not that scary -- I still like it for some reason.  So there.
  • Maximum Overdrive.  It's a movie directed by Stephen King. . . what more need be said!?  Okay, it's not a great movie, but it's by Stephen King!  And, if you suspend reality, lower expectations and just watch the hting, you'll have a very nice time.
  • The Night Flier.  This movie is wonderful!  The tone, the story itself -- I think it's just great.
  • Silver Bullet was a pretty good movie.  The monster at the end was a little -- unscary -- but the story was great.
  • Riding the Bullet.  It's depressing and dark and a lot of fun.  Wish my copy worked!
  • Cat's Eye.  I think that King viewers never understood the cat thing, and thus they throw the movie out with the kitty.  I really liked The Ledge.  Feels like something from Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
And, finally, movies and remakes I would be okay doing without:
* Insomnia.  I get sleepy thinking about it.
* Sleepwalkers.  Please, Hollywood people, show kindness to the King fans!  We have to buy EVERY move, and making us buy this one again would just be wrong.
* Children of the Corn.  We've had enough!  Well, I had enough after the first one.  Are we on #45 yet?
* Golden years.  I watched it. . . I still don't get it. . . I don't want to watch it again.
* Sometimes They Come Back, again and again and again.  I enjoyed the movie, but no more, please.  Stop coming back!
* The Runningman.  You know someone will suggest this because of the Hunger Games doing so well.  Please resist the urge!
* The Langoliers.  Never again, please, never again!  I loved the book, but the mini-series destroyed it for me.  But, HERE is a pretty good review of the Langoliers!

4 comments:

  1. A lot of interesting ideas here, I've liked the mock movie posters you got up here as well, Walter Hill directing a Tower movie? Brilliant!

    By the way, who do you see Michael Caine as, Walter? Lee Van Cleef as Callahan........Here's the thing, when I saw Bernie Wrightson and Michael Whalen's illustrations of him I thought, hey wait a minute, that's Christopher Loyd. My next thought was sort of, well, why not, he could pull it off.

    As for the It mini-series allow me to step into the roll of town pariah and say, I liked it. I agree with King when he says Curry gave a superlative performance, and yes, the adults just do not bother me for whatever reason. Maybe a have a high tolerance quotient, different things to different people and all that. Same goes for the Shining mini-series.

    Riding the Bullet I liked because for me it comes from Dickens, it comes from the idea that here is a retelling of Christmas Carol set in October. The Protagonist is recalling his past from the presetn so we can skip the first two ghosts and head on into the one from the Christmas (Halloween?) future.

    As to the main point of the article, the one film I'm waiting for is to see what Jon Demme can do with 11/22/63. For the record, one of the producers for the Demme project, Ilona Herzberg I think her name is, was also part of another JFK film, Thirteen Days. I saw it in theaters, not bad, and I'm certainly paying more attention to it now that she's going to try and bring King's book to the screen. At the very least it's worth a check out just to get a taste of what we might be in for in the possible future.

    What does everyone else think of 11/22/63 as a potential up and comer?

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davvvvvvve! Running Man needs to be re-made regardless of the Hunger Games! It's an awesome dark novel and in the right hands this could be a one of the best SK movies. It wouldn't cost a ton to make and has a singular focus on one man's survival. Clive Owen would be perfect for this.
    And I think Tommyknockers needs a new miniseries.

    Agree on Firestarter and the Night Flier.
    Disagree on Gerald's Game can't be made. It's just wouldn't be very good.
    Carrie doesn't need a remake at all.
    'Salems' Lot remake was probably the most insulting adaptation to me, man I hated that!

    Going have to say that End of the whole mess was a perfect adaptation.

    I hate the JFK book so a movie would make me think it was a waste of time.

    Wait a minute, wait a minute, you watched allll of Dreamcatcher??? You are a brave man.
    -mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. and what about some of the old stuff by Richard Bachman, Rage and The long walk could be terrific flicks

    Duma key is the best King has written since Pet semetary, but I see it more as a miniseries, Under the dome could be a spectacular film but to make it properly it would need a lot of budget

    is there a Needful things film? since is the worst I have read for King I didn't care for... is this the one directed by the son of Charlton Heston?

    I like a lot anthologies some of them could be a good idea, by the way there is a Creepshow 3...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, 11.22.63 will be directed by Demme and Under the Dome is supposed to be a miniseries or even a TV series, I'm not sure, on Showtime. Other than that, I for one gave up on any hopes for a Talisman/Black House movie and why for the love of God do they think The Dark Tower can be more marketable than The Talisman?

    ReplyDelete