Stephen King's The Reaper's Image



Four Stephen King short stories are headed for film, directed by Mark Pavia (Night Flyer).


Stephenking.com says the movie will be in the spirit of Creepshow and Cat's Eye.  King's website also says that with two of the stories hand selected by Stephen and two selected by Mark, "the project is a solid mix of classic and contemporary King tales sure to please the Constant Reader."  In other words -- King is officially excited about the project!

dreadcentral.com has the following summery’s of the stories:

The Reaper’s Image:
This story was first published in Startling Mystery Stories in 1969 and collected in Skeleton Crew in 1985. The story is about an antique mirror haunted by the visage of the Grim Reaper, who appears to those who gaze into it. This was King’s second professional sale and commercially published story. 
Mile 81:
A novella by Stephen King, released exclusively as an e-book on September 1, 2011. With the heart of Stand By Me and the genius horror of Christine, Mile 81 is the chilling story of an insatiable car and a heroic kid whose worlds collide at an abandoned rest stop on the Maine Turnpike. 
N.:
The story of a psychiatrist who falls victim to the same deadly obsession as his patient — an obsession that just might save the world! N. was published in King’s collection Just After Sunset in 2008. In March 2010 Marvel Comics published the first issue of a comic book adaptation of N., a four-issue limited series. 
The Monkey:
A short story first published in Gallery magazine in 1980 in the form of a small removable booklet. It was significantly revised and published in King’s collection Skeleton Crew in 1985. The story centers on a cymbal-banging monkey toy that is possessed by an evil spirit. Every time the monkey claps its little cymbals together, a nearby living thing dies. The monkey is found in a family’s attic in an old toy chest by two young brothers, unknowing that their father had been tormented by the monkey years ago, when it worked its lethal enchantment on his family and friends.


slashfilm.com writes:
"Pavia’s proven his affection for King’s work before; he made his feature filmmaking debut in 1997 with The Night Flier, an adaptation of one of King’s short stories. Though The Reaper’s Image marks only Pavia’s second full-length film, he’s been attached to several other horror projects over the years including remakes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead. In addition, Pavia was behind an early treatment of Clive Barker’s Midnight Meat Train."

In January, Pavia told Icons of Fright,
"I want to make a film that represents exactly what you think of when you hear the name “Stephen King” — a celebration of the man and what he does best, which is scaring the living hell out of all of us! But also stories that are rich in character and that have an emotional weight to them, which, of course, is what he’s all about. That’s what sets him apart from everyone else. It will be the first Stephen King anthology film in 25 years.”

Pavia also made this promise:
"[King] has been a huge part of my life since discovering me right out of film school and then hiring me (along with Richard Rubinstein) to write and direct THE NIGHT FLIER, which was an amazing experience. He has always been incredibly supportive of me for many years now, which naturally, I’m very grateful for. I love and respect Steve King, as a friend and as an artist, and I’m going to do him right.”

6 comments:

  1. I hope it turns out well. There's a lot of potential in those stories (although I don't like "Mile 81" very much).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all except Mile 81, I'm in between books right now and saving up for that so nobody tell me anything on "that" score.

    Like every other King adaptation this sounds like and idea with a lot of promise if handled right.

    I still liked that Heaven and Hell idea I mentioned a while back.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have definitely read them all.

    I love "N.", I like "The Reaper's Image" and "The Monkey," and I meh "Mile 81." It's not a bad story, though, and it COULD theoretically be great on film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish this had happened. I have yet to read Mile 81 or N but what I know of them makes me think they'd make good standalone movies.

    The blog will likely cover both.

    ReplyDelete