Why The Stand is better than IT

I have a very simple opinion about the ranking to Stephen King novles -- The Stand is his best work. That's not to say other novels are not wonderful, but the Stand contains a certain magic that seems like it cannot be recaptured.

While IT is a good book, it doesn't come near touching The Stand. Now, a clarification on that. I mean the new version of the Stand. I find the original version of the Stand a little bit dry. Of course, I read this version on tape -- read by my favorite reader, Grover Gardner. Okay, he's not my favorite reader!

Why is the Stand such a better book?

1. Destruction of America. It's a joy to ride along as King deconstructs the America we know so well.

2. Travel. The scenes through the tunnals, or on motorcycle as characters move about familiar -- but now different -- landscapes.

3. Rebuilding society. Starting the power plants, clearing buildings of bodies.

4. Use of supernatural. It is now an America filled with monsters. The super-natural elements are rare and convincing.

Okay, that's just a starter list on why the Stand is so good. But what makes it better than IT?
  • Well, It is uneven. Good, but almost over-written. The scenes with the kids are tremendous. As adults -- ahhh, not so much. My opinion only. But the Stand is strong beginning to end.
  • It has the strange -- freaky scenes I described in another post. That messes with the chracters in my head; devalues them. I don't think real people do that -- not at 11 years old.
  • The strength of IT is the monster and the children. We all had childhood monsters. The strength of the stand is chracters in a unique situation. The plays out throughout the book.

Bottomline: Both are good novels -- but the Stand will always top the list. So, the only question in my mind is: When will King give us the next updated verison of the Stand? (Change references to AIDS to H1N1). Come on, we all know it would be cool, and give just another reason to read the book one more time. AND. . . if they released it new at this point, they'd put it on audio for us.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that The Stand is better than IT, but IT is still one of his best books and maybe even his best "pure horror" book

    ReplyDelete