It can't possibly be worth THAT much!


Under the heading of -- "no way!" and "seriously?" and "is that really the price" -- is another auction on ebay. My favortie place to look and watch people who have no idea what things are really worth.
.
So here's one: "Stephen King SIGNED DELUXE ZIPPERED SKELETON CREW."
.
Price: $3,900.00
.
But, before you say that's too much -- remember, it does come with free shipping!
.
Seller writes: "This is the leather-bound lettered edition of Skeleton Crew, "PC" copy of 17 copies (out of 69 copies, 52 of which were lettered) divided between the author, artist and publisher. One of the scarcest and most elaborate lettered editions, this copy is bound into a black leather zipper case. The book's pages are bound into the leather itself. The book is signed in silver by King and the artist. The page edges are covered with silver gilt, and are protected by the case when fully zippered. The book is in excellent condition absolutely gorgeous production. The fold-out poster is present. Includes the publisher's letter, as shown in my photograph, designating the rarity of the PC copy. This is one that MUST be included in the finest King collections and it has been lovingly cared for as long as it has been in mine. Collectors know the value of this book. It is extraordinary."
.
Extraordinary indeed. If only I could strike oil. Is it WORTH that? Well, same as your house, anything is worth what someone else will pay for it. Of course, like flipping houses, you may not want to be the last person willing to pay that price.
.
3 questions:
.
1. These are the same stories that are in the $6.00 paperback. Or, the $31.00 first edition hardcover.
.
2. If that's true -- why do I want it so bad? Why do I think an asbestos covered Firestarter would be cool? Or a leather bound copy of The Stand? If it's about the stoires, why am I so attracted to the special bindings and stuff? But I am.
.
3. If I owned it, would I read it? No way! I wouldn't even let my children breath toward it.
.
So, at least for me, ownership of such items isn't about the literature. It's not about the story. I got the stories! Loved them. But there's something more. A desire to elevate the stories above other paper back novels and cheap hard copies. To say: These stories are special. They have meaning to me.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment