Link: Michael Whelan Interview


Can you judge a book by the cover? Well, that's what Michael Whelan would like you to be able to do! In a recent interview, Erik Ofgang asked Whelan, "When you illustrate a book cover, do you read the book, do you talk to the author, how does that work?"
.
"Always, (but) there's a few instances where the book hadn't been written yet, because I get booked so far in advance (and) my slot for a book cover comes up before the books actually been written. In that case, I'll talk to the author on the phone or via e-mail and get at least a plot outline and synopsis and description of characters so I can try to be as accurate as possible. It always bothered me as an avid reader myself that you couldn't judge a book by its cover. I decided early on that my book covers would be different, that you'd be able to."
.
.
For a more specific "Stephen King" interview, check out Liljas Library at: http://www.liljas-library.com/showinterview.php?id=19
.

No comments:

Post a Comment