Broadwayworld: Interview With Misery's William Goldman and Will Frears



I enjoyed the broadwayworld.com's interview with Misery screenwriter William Goldman and director Will Frears. Goldman was responsible for both the film adaptation and stage version of King's outstanding novel.

The play is currently onstage at Bucks County Playhouse for a special limited engagement November 24 through December 8.

A couple of highlights from the extensive interview:

PC: Bill, you originally read through the novel a few times with three different highliters in order to craft your original screenplay for the film, correct? 
WG: Yes, that’s true. You know, for me, because King is so popular and because of the material he tends to write about, I think people really don’t realize what a brilliant writer he is.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  
PC: Have you gone back to the original novel at all in this adaptation process of bringing MISERY to the stage? 
WG: Not that much. When I first was working on the play I’m sure that I looked at the novel a couple times, but not much since then. It was just… I don’t know; for me, I still remembered the movie and I always remember Kathy Bates and Jimmy Caan and all of it.
PC: That’s what you remember when you remember MISERY. 
WG: The movie is what I always go back to - yeah.
Goldman also reveals that the screenplay was written specififcally for Kathy Bates.

The full interview is at broadwayworld.com

No comments:

Post a Comment