Books Read By Stephen King



Who is your favorite reader of the Stephen King audio books?  I have two non-King favorites.  First Frank Muller is great.  His pacing is fast, which I like!  Also, I have come to appreciate Mr. Grover Gardner.  At first I really struggled with what some said was a "dry" reading style.  But I came to see that Gardner is precise and clear in his reading, giving power to the words themselves to tell the story.

I also think Craig Wasson is an excellent reader.  He takes almost the opposite approach of Gardner.  If Gardner wants the words to speak for themselves, Wasson wants to bring them to life!  He reads with energy, passion and sometimes his passion becomes distraction.

I really like it when Stephen King reads his own stories.  I'm not sure I would want to listen to him read Ken Follett novels!  But he's a great Stephen King narrator.

1. The Gunslinger.  I recently bought the audio tape of Stephen King reading The Gunslinger.  I love it!  King is awkward at first, but gains confidence as he goes.  He starts with a short introduction, pointing out that he is not a professional reader, but he thinks there is value for a writer to read his own work.  I generally agree -- if the writer is a good reader!  Some writers should stick to writing.  Frank Peretti comes to mind!  The author of the Christian classic, "This Present Darkness" has the frustrating habit of breaking into falsetto.
By the way, the photo of a young Stephen King with a mustache is great.
2. The Drawing Of The Three.  I like the cover of this audio book a lot,  by the way.  I can't find the artwork  anywhere else, but it is great.
3. The Wastelands.  I've never seen this, but according to King's site (Ms. Mod), he read the first three books of the Dark Tower series.
4. Bag of Bones
5. On Writing (nonfiction)
6. Building Bridges.  (Speech)
7. Blood and Smoke (Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, 1408, In The Deathroom)
8. It Grows on You (story)
9. Needful Things.  This is my favorite Stephen King reading.
10. Harvey’s Dream (story)
11. Hearts in Atlantis (w/ William Hurt)
12.  LT’s Theory of Pets (live reading)
13. Head Down (essay)
14. The Wavedancer Benefit
15. Rose Madder (the part of Norman Daniels)  (?)
16. The Wind Through The Keyhole
17. Home Delivery (story)

11 comments:

  1. Books I wish King had narrated: The Shining, It and11/22/63.

    My favorite King narrated book? Hearts in Atlantis. I also now wish he'd narrated The Body.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left out at least three: he read "The Revelations of Becka Paulson" on I Shudder At Your Touch Vol. 1; his essay "The Neighborhood of the Beast" on the abridged "Mid-Life Confidential" audiobooks; and also an abridged reading of his wife Tabitha's novel "One On One."

    He also read a segment on Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation" audiobook, but I don't know how extensive that is.

    I love King as a reader, personally. He's a bit like Bob Dylan (Bob Dylan 1961-1985 or so, at least...) in the sense that he doesn't have what you would consider to be a pretty voice, but dadgum, he sure does know how to use it to good effect.

    The one I most wish he had read but didn't: "Danse Macabre."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish he had read Danse Macabre, it really doesn't make sense for someone else to read it. He might have not wanted to re-visit it.
    I really wish he read them all.
    I always recommend listening to On Writing (my favorite reading, also in my top ten SK books) for people that can't read/get through it.
    LT is also a really fun listen.
    I hope someday someone else reads Under The Dome since that guy is the worst narrator ever. Just brutal.
    -mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never listened to Under the Dome, but I've heard other people say the same.

      I personally can't stand Craig Wasson, who seems to be King's new go-to guy. He does well with straight-up narration (REALLY well, in fact), but is absolutely awful when he does voices for most of the characters. I want to tell him, dude, PLEASE just read them like a normal human being and stop doing horrible voices.

      Delete
    2. Oh dude, you would definitely hate Under the Dome guy. My wife and I both thought that the owner of the 7-11 like store was Indian until they said he was from Canada. He does ALL woman like they are morons and annoying.

      I think Wasson is just ok but really depressing sounding. Steve's books have been on the downer side recently so maybe that's why he uses him or maybe I think the stories are more depressing bc of Wasson....

      -mike

      Delete
    3. Wasson is kinda depressed vocally, isn't he?

      I think he does well with some material. For example, the scene in 11/22/63 where Jake is talking about seeing the coloreds-only "restroom" -- Wasson is great there.

      I really, REALLY hate his character voices, though.

      Sounds like Raul Esparza was just as bad (or worse) reading Under the Dome!

      Delete
  4. It would be really fun if he read one of Joe Hill's books too!
    -mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, I believe the Wastelands cassette edition with the swirly universe/rose cover is the one that SK reads, there's a couple on ebay now.

    http://www.darktowercompendium.com/collectibles5.html

    I'm right there with you with the DT2 audio cover. It's my favorite Roland painting.

    -mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all three of those at one point and gave them away. Aaarrrrggggghhhhhh!

      Delete
  6. King has also read Desperation. He is a good narrator for his books. I think Frank Muller was the best. If Frank were alive today i can only imagine what other King books he would have read. I like Grover Gardner. George Guidall, who read the last three Dark Tower Books, is also very good. Ron McLarty did a great job with 'Salem's Lot and Blaze.

    ReplyDelete