Thoughts On A Shining Prequel



With talk of a prequel to The Shining, I was interested in Christopher Campbell's piece at movies.com that discussed what direction a sequel to The Shining should go.

The article is full of wonderful quotes and insights.  My favorite is Campbell's own thoughts:

It's a bit confusing, or will be, that there will be two very different continuities going on with the tale of the Torrance family and the Overlook, although in a way these are somewhat separate stories, kind of like how Prometheus is a prequel to Alien but can itself spawn a whole other parallel-moving series. Maybe Warner Bros. will similarly want to go with further movies specific to the hotel. Personally, I can't wait for the one where the Overlook is launched into space and turned into a prison.
See, that's wonderful! And it is a problem, isn't it?  I mean, we have the Shining, then the movie,  then the mini-series, and the prequel and the sequel -- none of  them following quite the same streams of narration.


That said, I also appreciated this quote from Ethan Anderton:
Though I'd be interested in seeing what takes place at the Overlook Hotel, I'm a little skeptical without any source material from Stephen King. However, if Rise of the Planet of the Apes can craft a solid prequel to a classic film, then I suppose anything is possible. But Kubrick's shoes aren't going to be easy to fill. 
That's the spirit, mate! Of course,  I can think of a few prequel's that did not turn out as nicely as Rise of the Planet of the Apes; namely . . .  oh, I won't name names!  STAR WARS!  oops, it slipped out.

May I also point out that no matter how good a prequel is, it can't live up the Kubrick version of The Shining because there is not likely to be conspiracy groups who believe it was actually evidence of a fake moon landing.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you are so blessed!)

Campbell's article  is here:

2 comments:

  1. Well, this is just...

    I'm convinced that what we have here is an unintended snowball effect. In essence, if King hadn't announced Doctor Sleep, then, while nobody knows nothing in the business, Hollywood wouldn't have felt bold enough to try it's hand at a prequel.

    All this has reached a level of ridiculous for me that the following just flew out of me, and I apologis in advance for any ruffled feathers, but ink-stained bibliophile in just won't let it rest.

    My thinking is enough is enough. There is no further story to be had either forward or backward and any attempt in that direction is a waste of paper and a diservice to characters who display no such tendencies, characters who are fundamentally stronger and better than...THIS.

    To be continued.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. To go on with a more positive note.

    All the above said, there is a conversation I had with Bryant over at his new Truth inside the Lie blog.

    I there mention a writer and critic named R.G. Collingwood and a book of literary criticism called "The Philosophy of Enchantment". It's important i think because of an idea Collingwood put forth called the "Storytelling Tradition". More info can be had over at Bryant's blog.

    Collingwood is of note for one more reason. His thinking influenced the thinking of both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Lewis in fact mentions Collingwood in his book Miracles. Just thought you might be interested Reverend.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete