Mick Garris Week



Why Mick Garris week?  Because I think Mick Garris is awesome!  Like any artist, I don't jump at everything he's done -- but I have enjoyed most of his King related work.  I'll state up front that Sleepwalkers didn't work for me.  So there, that's out of the way.

Stephen King adaptations by Mick Garris:

  • Sleepwalkers (1992)
  • The Stand (1994)
  • The Shining (1997)
  • Riding The Bullet (2004)
  • Desperation (2006)
  • Bag of Bones (2011)
Garris holding Lee Gambin's book "Massacred by Mother Nature"
What Garris is good at is staying faithful to King's original work.  He's doesn't pull any Kubrick's on us.  In fact, fans might notice minor changes in the story and think it's a big deal -- such as the way Mike's wife dies in Bag of Bones.  However, it's that more minor details are the big deal that really points out just how faithful he usually is to King's work.

I think the strongest of his King movies are The Stand and The Shining.   I was surprised to see at Wikipedia that he is an atheist, yet The Stand breaths with faith.  This is again a nod to his ability to stay true to the King source over personal conviction.  (If wikipedia is right.)   

In his introduction to Garris' book A Life In Cinema, Stephen King discusses a couple of problems he had with directors looking to film his work.  King says, "The big deal in both cases was that the director didn't want to make the story I wrote."  

King also calls Garris his best friend in the business. And then King gives Garris this rare compliment, "This man can write!"  Not bad, considering King is not always easy to please.  Just get him started on the writing in Twilight!  

8 comments:

  1. You left one off the list: Quicksilver Highway (which adapts King's "Chattery Teeth" and Clive Barker's "The Body Politic").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exact first thought that appeared in my head: "Yeaaaaaah! This is gonna be fun!

    I'll also need to check out Garris's book.

    Just one question, between me and Bryant, who gets to be Siskel and which of us gets to be Ebert?

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck finding a cheap copy of that Garris book. I wanted to buy a copy at one point, but the cheapest one I could find was $75 or so.

      Delete
  3. I have mixed feelings about Garris. Sleepwalkers was atrocious as were Desperation and Bag of Bones.

    In Sleepwalkers and Desperation, he had poor source material to work (King's script and King's book respectively). Bag of Bones was the mutilation of a decent story.

    The Stand and The Shining I would call tepid.

    I really dug "Riding the Bullet" unlike most King fans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, looks like I'm slated to be Richard Roeper.

    Side note: The woman with Garris in the title picture for this entry is hiis wife and good luck charm, Cynthia, otherwise know as the Woman in 217

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can get Grris' book as Amazon Kindle for about $2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?!?

      I did not know there was a Kindle edition; that's new since the last time I tried to locate a copy of the book.

      Thanks for the heads-up!

      Delete
    2. Same here, Reverend.

      ChrisC

      Delete