Margaret White Was Right -- Can You Deal With That?



Check out the Dread Central interview with Julianne Moore at dreadcentral.com.  I love this interview!

Moore says that what she really appreciates about Carrie is that "we were revisiting Stephen's (King) novel instead of trying to remake the original movie."

And with that, she makes the observation that there is a lot more character development taking place in the novel than made it into the original film.  I think that's very interesting  as Carrie is a very short book.  Yet is is deeply character driven, something that would become a hallmark of King's work for years to come.  She points out that King based Carrie on two bullied girls, and that the themes in Carrie are "timeless."

Moore points something out that's almost so obvious you could miss it!  Though White is "a bit psychotic," she is actually working to protect her daughter  because she loves her.  That's good!  Wait, there's more. . .
if you think about it- she's right. Margaret White was absolutely right- she said the world was going to laugh at Carrie, and that's what they did. They tormented that young girl, and had she listened to her mother, it wouldn't have happened so there is a sense of truth to some of the things she does say even if they seem crazy or their cruel or they're awful to hear.  (dreadcentral.com)
I never thought about this until now -- but Carrie is as much about parenting as it is about bullies.  I have not gone there  because it would require I try to see things from Margaret White's point of view -- something I'm not excited about.  Yet, parenting does make you a bit crazy!  And people who start out crazy become really nutty parents!  But still, they love their kids.  (Most of them)

3 comments:

  1. Character development is King's forte. Nobody does it better. Some say he overdoes it by providing backstories for even the most insignificant of characters. I disagree. I think this only adds to his stories.

    However, I would submit that the character of Tommy Ross suffers from neglect. We never learn Tommy's true motivation. Did he take Carrie to the prom just because his girlfriend demanded it, or was he a genuinely nice person.

    Lawrence Cohen does a good job of developing Tommy Ross in the 1976 movie as a genuinely nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contra White

    For me novels like Carrie, or characters like Harold Lauder and Arnie Cunningham are intertesting in that there was a time when I met with the same kind of ridicule at school.

    The difference was it all stopped when I stopped sulking and started talking and I found out the motive behind it all. It seems the people who taunted me the most since fifth grade (some of whom later became my best friends through high school) were doing all but kicking my kiester in order to get me out of my shell. I've said this elsewhere, but ever since I've never looked back in anger and instead worry if I didn't peak in high school. Because of this, I have a very different take on it from King.

    I don't say Margaret White isn't entirely wrong. I think there might be a way to tell real bullies from those trying to get you to shape up. The way to tell the two apart is this, if you start trying to act friendly instead of sulking etc, and they respond in kind, odds are they're not really bullies.

    If they continue, of course, no matter how many times you extend the olive branch, then maybe it's time to call the guys in white with the long jackets.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. II Contra White

      All this reminds of something another guy said.

      His name's highly regarded, though not important for this comment.

      This guy, he talks about how he and a gang he belonged to once stole some pears from a fruit vendor who never saw minimum wage a day in his life.

      The funny thing he noted was neither he or his (so called) friends weren't hungry at the time, and once they stole the pears they then threw them away.

      What bugged the guy was at the time there seemed no reason for what they all did until he realized the main thing driving it all was everyone was anxious to "fit in".

      He later looked back on his whole education and realized it was mostly all an exorcise in the same kind of thing, how to claw your way to the top, how wheel, deal, cajole and, when all else failed, how to conquer.

      Well you think Steve King is paranoid about high school, you should have heard this guy I'm talking about.

      I can't say this guy was against education, yet I know he often thought along the lines of "What do they teach kids in these schools etc."

      ChrisC

      Delete