The Tommyknockers 25 Years Later

PostBulletin listed a "this day in history" that included the Tommyknockers.  
1987 — 25 years ago
Dr. Robert Waller has been named president and chief executive officer of the Mayo Foundation. He succeeds Dr. W. Eugene Mayberry.
Brian LaPlante popped in a 12-foot jump shot from the baseline with a second left to give the Chatfield Gophers a 60-58 basketball victory over Wykoff.
Best seller novels this week include "The Tommyknockers" by Stephen King and "Kaleidoscope" by Danielle Steel.
What do you think of The Tommyknockers?

I have not read the book yet, but I look forward to it.  I saw, and enjoyed, the miniseries.  In particular,t he scene where the kid makes his brother disappear. . . but can't bring him back!  that's great!  The disappointment for me in the mini-series was that the spaceship they dug up was not very interesting.  The idea, though, of a buried spaceship that causes the townspeople to change -- AWESOME!

6 comments:

  1. The Tommyknockers is very creepy. A little different from King today. Had the tones of The Dark Half and Pet Semetary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as alien themes go, Dreamcatcher is King's best, in my opinion. Beautiful novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites, I never understood the hate for it. The beginning is a little slow and Steve throws a lot of stuff at the wall but to me must of it sticks in a great way.

    I have a feeling that an ONION headline has kind of ruined this book's reputation
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-dont-even-remember-writing-the-tommyknockers,10929/

    I would put this in the sub-category of "friendship" books (The Body, Hearts, It)
    , where the main focus or character traits have to do with friendship. I tend to like those.

    It might have been said the Under the Dome is fresh(sober) try at this same idea but I like this book waaaay better. I just listened to it last summer and I liked it more than the first time I read it when I was 15.

    I think the book has a lot to do addiction in general, if one were to look into it in a subliminal or literary way. But I think it's a great book about a town gone mad.
    Thumbs up from me all the way David!
    -mike

    Also, I Hate the mini-series. Terrible CGI and the elimination of some major characters makes it really weak in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book is a lot better, the ending is different too, there's no battle bewteen Gard and the alien, but is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I remember, I don't think I liked The Tommyknockers all that much. I may have to give it another go to be sure, but I just remember it being this really long, drawn out mess. Or maybe the miniseries ruined it for me. Or hearing that King was out of his mind on coke when he wrote it. Argh! Now I have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all making me excited to read the book. But. . . must finish Drawing of the Three first -- then The Stand. . .

    ReplyDelete