Read It Again


I haven't read every Stephen King novel . . . yet.  Rose Madder, Lisey's Story, the Talisman and others still await me.  While some books remain unread, there and others I go to again and again.

Here are 8 books I enjoy re-reading.
  • The Stand
  • The Shining
  • Dolores Claiborne
  • IT
  • Needful Things
  • The Mist
  • Pet Sematary
  • The Drawing of the Three
I have heard King and others complain about Needful Things.  I thought when I read it -- and then read it again -- and again -- that it was brilliantly executed.  Only later did I begin to think that maybe some characters (Baptist preachers in particular) had been painted without much effort to dig deeper.  In fact, I began to suspect there appeared to be intentional mislabeling taking place with this work.  Typecasting takes place in every novel (that's how you build characters you can identify with!), but a reader gets leery when they suspect the writer might be doing it to cause the reader to think less of a certain group of people.  

The Stand is the book I come back to the most.  I have read the 1978 novel several times.  I only read the extended version once, as a teen.

It used to be that the books I owned on tape were the ones I listened to over and over.  Thus Needful Things, Drawing of the Three and Dolores Claiborne were easy choices.  Now I have most of King's work on audio, so I'm more picky!

And then there are those books I enjoyed -- once long ago and hope to read again someday.  
The Sun Dog (all of 4 past Midnight), Cell, Desperation, The Tommyknockers.  Some books I hesitate to go back to because I think I might not enjoy them as much as I did the first time.  Or -- I connect a book to a specific period of my own life when I was reading and don't really want to relive those memories.  As if reading a book I read would bring back those  old events.  Crazy stuff, I know!

Sometimes another persons view of a book will dampen my own delight for something I had previously enjoyed.  I loved Sun Dog!  But when I read others complain it was too heavily edited, I had less desire to go back and travel those pages again -- even though they had once held me in such suspense.

You know, some books can  only really punch you once. The twists and turns are such a surprise that they can't be experienced a second time with the same intensity.  The Stand is that way. I remember staying up late as Harold built a bomb and wondering if King would really kill off his good guys.  Yet, I come back to The Stand because I still enjoy the journey, even if it does not pack the same punch each round.  I notice new details along the path, hone in better on how King words things and builds his scenes.

Some books never get a second date.  Kind of a sad thought, isn't it? Gerald's Game, which I have read more than once, does not "call to me."  I read it before I had kids -- daughters.  Now the thought of reading what I remember to be the story of serious sexual child abuse is not something I want to do.  Strangely, Under The Dome does not draw me back -- so far at least.  That is a surprise, because I enjoyed reading it so much.  Thinner, which I also enjoyed at the time, was a one time thing for me. 

Tell me what books you love to read again.

16 comments:

  1. You haven't read Lisey's Story - I urge you to read it before you re-read the books that you've already read. Lisey's Story is beautiful and haunting and it's got loads of heart-wrenching scenes that are written perfectly. You NEED to read it! I can read it a hundred times over and never get tired of it. It's one of King's best recent works.
    I started The Talisman a while back but never got around to finishing it. I think it's because Peter Straub has co-written it. It's not the complete King novel that we all adore so much. I am going to try reading it properly, because I have the second part (Black House) with me, and I must finish it.
    Desperation is my most favourite because it never fails to scare the wits out of me every single time. Have you read The Regulators (by Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman)? It has all the characters from Desperation in an alternate story. That is one hell of a scary story too.
    I have read Gerald's Game twice, and I think that is enough for me. The Sun Dog was extremely scary. Regardless of it being a short story it took ages and ages for me to finish it because I was just so terrified of reading the end! Haha. I think The Langoliers is my favourite from the Four Past Midnight collection.
    Blockade Billy is easy for me to re-read because of it's gripping story and short length. Whenever I want to get a quick fix of King I read that.
    I haven't gotten around to reading The Colorado Kid yet, have you read it? It's not out-and-out horror, which is probably why it hasn't got the same appeal to me. However I have heard great things about it and I must take if off my bookshelf and read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for Lisey's comment, it's my wife and I's favorite SK book. People KILL it but I think it's Steve's most original and best written book. I guess some people can't get over the special language they have but I think they miss the point, but I really don't feel the need to defend it, you get it or you don't and that's fine. I'm just glad he wrote it and it sexists for me to go back to whenever I want.
      -mike

      Delete
    2. Aww I completely agree with you on that! But since it's different from some of King's works, I understand how some people dislike it. It's all right, as long as we all love Stephen King himself! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Furree Cat and I are going to disagree on Lisey's Story. I thought it was absolutely the worst book he ever wrote. Although there were a couple I didn't like, I never struggled to finish a King novel -- until I encountered Lisey's Story.

    I did not care much for Desperation and loathed The Regulators.

    Blockade Billy is a great story for fans of baseball and horror. I love both!

    You really should read the Talisman. I'd not rank it with his great works, but it is better than many. The character, Wolf, is one of his best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, it's great that you have your own opinions and preferences regarding King's books! I'll try to finish The Talisman now that you say that it's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'm with you Katt on Desperation/Regulators. Here's a thought, it makes much more sense to treat Regulators as part 1 of a two part story, and it sort of explains the villains actions in Desperation, it's about revenge.

      Other books I hope to get back to are surprisingly enough, Lisey's Story now I think about it. I'm eager to revisit 11/22/63 now that I've had time to clarify my thoughts about the characters.

      Having finished the Tower series, I can't say they call me back all that much, I just think their good but he's written more interesting stories...Sorry.

      ChrisC

      Delete
    2. I always read Desperation first and The Regulators second! Thanks for the tip, I shall read them the other way around now.

      11/22/63 was brilliant, that's one I would like to re-read soon. I haven't read any of The Dark Tower Series books, unfortunately. :( That's on my wishlist atm! I own almost all of King's books otherwise.

      Delete
  4. Since I listen to most of the books, I have re-read/listened to many.
    My favorite ones to go back to are:

    The Talisman is one of my top 10 SK books and Mueller is just great as Wolf. I love the flow and feeling of this story.
    I've listened to the DT books minus Keyhole 3 times now. There are so many great things about these I have mentioned in earlier posts.
    I've read Long Walk quite a few times. Not for morbid reasons either. I amazed at how Steve could make you so vested in kids just walking and talking. he whole struggle of making your body do something when it's well past it's time is really interesting. I usually re-read it if I lend it to someone so we can talk about it later.
    I probably will never listen to the audio version.

    Books I've re-read that I liked less are:
    Bag of Bones. I loved this book the first time I read it, now it just doesn't feel like it has any meat. The whole drive-by scene just completely takes me out of the book.

    Needful Things. The arthritis talk just seemed to go on and on and on. I still think the knife fight is one of the best action scenes in any of his books.

    Re-reading made them better:
    Christine. So much better to me the second time. Not sure why but it moved up way higher on the list.
    Dolores Clairborne. I was young, I didn't want a story about a woman and her daughter.

    Ones I'd like to re-read:
    Dead Zone. Pet Semetary.

    -mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE LONG WALK! I completely forgot that I love re-reading it! I've read that four times. I fell in love with the protagonist, to be honest. One of my most favorite King books ever. Even more than Lisey's Story!

      Delete
  5. I think I read Gerald's game at least twice. However many tiems it was I don't think I'm going back.

    Mike, I forgot about the arthritis talk. But I chalked it up to character development. I also liked the shadow puppets. And yes, it had some of the sariest scenes in King history. The knife fight, the dog killing, the kid. . . over the top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a good book but I definitely don't find it as enjoyable the second go 'round.
      -mike

      Delete
  6. You know, the end sank Needful Things. The stuff with the video of Pangborns wife seemed. . . cartoonish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read everything up to Needful Things at least three times (a few of them more). I've read everything to From a Buick Eight at least twice. I've read Blaze twice.

    I plan to eventually have in depth analysis, review, and commentary on all of them on my blog. I'm more than halfway home on that project now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blaze almost made me run off the road I was so bored. Probably was the narrator. Maybe I'll read that one next vacation.
    Yes, even when I was 14 I hated the end of needful things. I guess b/c I thought it would be Flagg at the end, and it wasn't.

    -mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you said that about Blaze. I've struggled to read it, too. Same with Colorado Kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was awesome that Steve gave away all the money that Blaze made.

    I think End of the whole Mess is my most re-read story. I really think it's perfect.
    -mike

    ReplyDelete