Jonathan Demme Leaves 11/22/63

photo credit: collider.com
A little over a year ago, Jonathan Demme was brought on board as the driving force  behind 11/22/63.  He was signed on to write, produce and direct the project!  Demme is now walking from the film, telling The Plalist:
"This is a big book, with lots in it. And I loved certain parts of the book for the film more than Stephen did. We're friends, and I had a lot of fun working on the script, but we were too apart on what we felt should be in and what should be out of the script," Demme said, before confirming he was off the project. "I had an option and I let it go. But I hope it's moving forward, I really want to see that movie." 
I'm glad to know King continues to have such a strong influence on the film.  It seems too often Hollywood has made King movies with no input from the author.

3 comments:

  1. This is both good and bad news to me. Bad in that I don't know when we'll see any adapt of the book.

    Good in that maybe now it has a chance to go on as maybe an HBO miniseries, ideally directed by Frank Darabont.

    One can always hope.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...This is interesting to me. I don't think Uncle Stevie always has the best eye for what makes a great movie.
    He hates The Shining but made Sleepwalkers.
    I think he should just let the good directors do their thing. It would be nice to see if someone could pull something interesting from that snoozer of a book, maybe add a 3rd play in the middle???? haha.
    -mike

    ReplyDelete