Time Travel

I have noticed several articles today with headings along the lines of "Stephen King to tackle Time Travel in next book." As if he hasn't dealt with this before. To clarify, what appears to be original for King with 11/23/63 is that it is alternate history. I cannot think ofa book where he wrestled with the issues related to alternative history.
.
But time travel has certainly been done by King. Where? Well, most noteably in The Drawing Of The Three. But it happens throughout the Dark Tower novels. In Drawing of the Three, the medium is a doorway that delivers Roland into different era's of our world. I love the scene where Eddie hides the drugs in Roland's world, using the doorway as a means of transporting illegal drugs. It's brilliant! I believe in Dark Tower 7, the Ka tet actually change the timeline. Forgive me for not being more specific, I was holding on for dear life trying to keep up with that novel!
.
There were hints of time displacement in other books. For instance, Christine was stuck in the 1950's. I wrote this in my Christine Journal #6: "The radio is set for a 50's oldies station. When Arnie or Leah try to change it, it always goes back to the 50's music. Stranger, as Arnie drives he begins to hear news casts from the 50's. Warnings about Russian build up and a response from Ike. Retro news, Arnie wonders. But the reader is pretty sure -- this isn't a rebroadcast! Christine is somehow drawing the radio station up out of time."

No comments:

Post a Comment