Seven Reasons We Read Stephen King, #7 : He's Everywhere

photo credit: The Fire Wire

How many things are everywhere?  Dirt, Sponge Bob, and Stephen King. . . they're everywhere.  Oh, and Star Wars.  Yes, I am aware that only God is omnipresent.  But hang with me. . .

He's sold something like a trillion books.  Yes, a trillion. . . but it might be more.  Okay, more precisely: "His books have been translated into 33 different languages, published in over 35 different countries. There are over 300 million copies of his novels in publication." (source HERE)  I saw a few weeks ago that King's novel Cujo would be published in Persian for Iran.  Other King novels already published in Persian include "Blaze", "Dreamcatcher", "The Green Mile", and "Cell."

No matter what format you prefer, King is there!  His stories transcend simply the written word.  See, some people don't read!  They're literate, but they don't believe in opening a book.  That's okay, because you can listen to Stephen King on audio book.  Don't listen to audio books, that's okay, because he's on Kindle.  Not a Kindle fan, right?  Well, there's movies! 

Oh, boy, are there ever movies!  Movies that represent his work well, and movies that are absolutely terrible.  A lot of movies that are terrible.  Some terrible movies refuse to die!  Like Children of the Corn.  They just go on and on and on until you are ready for the aliens in the corn fields to stop making crop circles and just kill those freaky little kids.

The list goes on and on and on, doesn't it?  Comic books, radio programs, television, magazines, and even musicals.  Yes, musicals.  And apparently, the new Carrie is doing nicely.  Go figure!

Two Reasons King Is Everywhere:
Now, let me ask: Why is Stephen King everywhere?  Two reasons: 1. Because he's written so much stuff!  2. Because what he writes connects. 

You can only have so many versions of the works of Harper Lee, because she only wrote one book -- To Kill a Mockingbird.  So you can make 1 play, 1 movie, 1 audio recording.  Sure, you can do it again, remake it, but in the end it is just not possible to generate as much media. 

But piles of pages aren't enough, are they?  The writing has to connect at a deeper level with a lot of people.  That's what King has a gift for.  He connects!  People read him for different reasons, but the point is -- a lot of people read him. 

A Lot Of Media:
I think one reason we read Stephen King is because of all the media surrounding him.  We are drawn in by the movies, comics and television programs.  You know, I haven't actually READ the pages of a King book in a while.  I listen to everything.  Why?  Because King makes it possible to listen to everything!  (Wait, I have been reading The Long Walk, because I'm too cheap to buy it off audible).

Every format King exposes his work to is another cluster of potential fans and constant readers.

He's not only everywhere in terms of types of media; he's everywhere with genre as well.  While he used to be pigeon holed as a horror writer, I think he has successfully broken out into main stream. . . whatever that is!  Works like 11.22.63 has given him greater exposure and credibility to the literary world, and to new readers.  What do new readers do when they finish a book -- they look for other works by the same author.

He's Generous With His Work
Another reason King is so widely read is because he gives people an opportunity to turn his work into movies.  Called Dollar Babies, one of the things I've noticed is that people were not previously King fans are putting his work to screen -- why?  Because he's the guy that will let the new person at the table have a shot. 

While mentioning generous with is work, it is worth noting that he is also generous with his money.  I wonder if that gains him any readers. . . I know that's not why he does it!

His Work Is Everywhere:

Can you go in a book store and not find Stephen King? I mean real book stores, not theology book stores or Bible bookstores or specialty bookstores, OKAY!  He's everywhere in a video store.  I was in one tonight. . . probably one of my last trips to a video store. . . and noticed just how much King there was in that place.  He's on Net Flix.  He's all over audible.  He's in school, both in the kids backpacks and int he school library.  Are there any schools that have King as required reading?  The copy of The Long Walk that I'm reading is a school library copy.

He's on laser disk, video tape and audio tape.  He also on MP3 and Blue Ray.

Really, He's Everywhere!
Not only is King's work eveywhere. . . he's everywhere!  He grants lots of interviews, sometimes reads his own books onto audio, and often pops up in his own movies.  he doesn't have to!  He could hide away in a closet and write to his hearts delight.  But I think his willingness to, if you will, put himself out there adds to his popularity. 

Please, comment as you will. 
And, tell me. . . what is the stangest place you've found Stephen King?

9 comments:

  1. Stephen King really IS everywhere, isn't he?

    The strangest place I've ever found him was ... well, it wasn't so much a case of ME finding him as a news story I read. It was, in fact, the one you mentioned about "Cujo" being translated into Persian.

    Think about that. In Iran -- one of THE most likely countries on Earth to be considered as far away from America as one can get, culturally-speaking -- people will soon be able to read about a small American boy trapped inside a Ford Pinto, menaced by a St. Bernard. That, to me, is astonishing.

    I'm sure there are plenty of other American books/movies/etc. available in Persian, so it's not like King is breaking new ground here. But still, it boggles my mind a bit.

    Can't wait for "The Stand" to be translated into Klingon; I'm sure it'll happen some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Cujo in Persian would be really cool to own. And I usually take a pass on foreign books (like, usually as in always unless it's a Brit ed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only foreign-language edition of King's work I've got is a Spanish-language edition of "Song of Susannah."

    I'd love to have any and all of them, but I can't justify spending money on something that I will -- for a certainty! -- never read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been much of an editions collecter, but one collectible item I amand always will be proud to own is a copy of the 25th anniversary edition of It.

    Not least because my greatest moment of joy with it was placing it next to an original edition of a hardback copy of the complete uncut The Stand...and It was the bigger book. Now I don't mean to boast or brag, except to say YYYYYESSSS! YEAH! YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH! WHOS THE MAN!!! WHO'S THE MAN KNOW...well I don't think I can't finish that thought.

    It goes without saying, but I always thought It was better than the Stand, even better than the Tower. Cry your pardon but there it is.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slight correction to my last post. I should have spelled it WHO'S THE MAN NOW...and I still can't finish the sentence. And there is now one on earth you'll get me to change my mind, YEEEEAAAAHHHH!

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you're talking my language, Chris! "It" is my favorite King novel, bar none.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think though that the fact that he IS everywhere might not always be a good thing? When you get parodied on Family Guy (more than once) and maybe not in the best light - they showed him pitching a story about a killer lamp as I recall - is that detrimental to his status as a great writer? When something is new and exciting, people fall over themselves giving it praise but when it keeps coming back, they suddenly change their minds. I don't know if that's really happened to King (and I sure as hell don't want it to) but I have seen a lot of random comments on the internet about how "overrated" he is, and it always makes me wonder if people are saying that because King and his work is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anyone who HASN'T been parodied on "Family Guy"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH! And the Simpsons. I love . . (loved) the Simpsons. Now that we have kids. . . no more Simpsons on a regular basis !

    ReplyDelete