Musical Confusion

Sing, Wendy!  Sing!

Am I the only person confused by the Broadway musical, Carrie?  I might be. 

Musicals on their own don't make sense to me.  People do not walk down the sidewalk and burst into song. . . choirs do not leap out of flower beds to join the crazy guy singing. . . taxi drivers don't stop in the middle of the street to join the crazy guy singing with his choir. . .

I can tolerate about two (2) musicals.  Little Shop of Horrors and Phantom of the Opera.  Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote an awesome script for Phantom, and Little Shop of Horrors is simply delightful. 

Something about Stephen King doesn't make me think: MUSICAL!  When a new King book gets announced, I do not think, "Oh boy, I hope it becomes a musical!"  I saw a poll asking what King book should be the next musical. 

Mixing horror and musical seems like more than just a genre buster.  This isn't like Cowboys and Aliens -- it's more like . . .
  • Mr. Rogers directed by Oliver Stone
  • The Happy Days cast does Nightmare on Elm Street 12
  • Frenchtoast and Spaghetti
  • A Bible movie with a budget
  • Oprah in Star Wars
  • Jonathan Edwards teams with Joel Osteen
Seriously, can you see Jack singing away as he swings at Wendy?  Talk about a new take on "Heeeeers Johnny!"  Would the dog sing in Cujo?  Would zombies do a super dance in Cell?  Somehow I just can't really see Misery the Musical.  The only one that might be cool would be IT.  Pennywise sings. . . no, I take it back.

7 comments:

  1. Oddly, I actually CAN imagine "The Shining" as a musical...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine it, too. . . that's what has be sitting under the covers scared to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not by any means a huge fan of musicals as a genre, but there are a lot of individual ones that I love. "The Wizard of Oz" is one of my favorite movies, for example, and I also adore "Wicked" as both a novel and as a musical. Then there are all the Disney animated musicals, etc.

    I've heard bootlegs of the original "Carrie" musical, and the problem with it isn't so much that it's just a weird idea for a musical ... it's that it's crap. Amusing and occasionally rather catchy ... but crap nonetheless. I don't know how different this new version is; I look forward to hearing it at some point so I can compare versions.

    With "The Shining," though, it's over-the-top dramatic, plus it takes place almost entirely in one setting. It could theoretically make for a pretty good musical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHINING! – A Musical in 3 acts

    Yeah, I could see that.

    For instance:

    JACK (singing soft and sincere to his son)

    "I would never hurt you, Danny – nor slap, nor hit, nor sever.
    We'll be safe right here in The Overlook – forever and ever and ever!"

    I can imagine many song titles, like:

    Ode to Mr. Ullman (Officious Little Prick)
    You Gotta Watch Her, She Creeps (The Boiler Song)
    Stay Away, Danny (Tony's Lament)
    Closing Day
    What's Up, Doc?
    It's a Long Way to Topiary
    Come and Play with Us, Danny
    Snow! Snow! Snow!
    All Work and No Play (Makes Jack a Dull Boy)
    White Man's Burden (aka Drinks on the House)
    Gimme the Bat, Wendy (The Bash Your Brains In Song)
    Let Me Out! (The Pantry Song)
    Bring us Your Son
    Take your Medicine (you damned little pup)!
    Redrum, Redrum
    Oh, Danny Boy!

    I am only half kidding. Yet … given the over the top, operatic themes of this classic story, this might could actually work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got the news here first, friends:

    THE SHINING
    A musical based on the novel by Stephen King
    Written and directed by Andy Williamson

    I would like an mp3 of: "The pantry song" and "bring us your son."

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. Thanks, David.

    I WAS only kidding about SHINING! the musical, but … after writing those faux titles down, it certainly has me thinking. (I may repost those on my site, and link back to your article … if you don't mind.)

    Also, you hate all musicals except for Little Shop of Horrors and Phantom of the Opera? Wow. Sounds like someone needs to come over and strap you down and make you watch West Side Story – that film is freaking GENIUS!

    Anyway – keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's not that no one has strapped me down and made me watch. . . it has already been done! My mother, who I love, watched every musical made. I've seen West Side Story, I just find it rediculous to watch gangs dancing and singing. (Was it the jets and the sharks. . . ?) My dislike for musicals probably goes back to childhood rebellion.

    Also, my wife adores all msuicals. It doesn't matter how much I point out that people do not go around town, singing while dressed in curtains -- she still love the sound of music. ick.

    South Pacific, Oklahoma, Showboat, The King and I. . . I've seen them. Even the barn raising scene in Oklahoma has me rolling my eyes. Maybe it's that I like to annoy the women in my life, but I just can't stomach these! At least in phantom people get knocked off. SWEET!

    Even my daughters love musicals. And now the great Andy Williamson. . . I am surrounded by this stuff!

    ReplyDelete