Seven Reasons We Read Stephen King, #4 : He's A Woman



Yep!  It's awkward, but true.  Stephen King is a woman.

When writing about female characters, King is able to actually get inside a woman's head.  More than one female in my life has mentioned how skillfully he deals with the fairer sex.  That sense of realism causes readers to return again and again.

Kings ability to write realistically about women, how they think and deal with the world -- may be exactly why I so often find myself frustrated with his female characters!  "I would never do that that way!" I think. In Big Driver I found myself completely frustrated with decisions Tess would make. They didn't seem at all logical to me. Is that because she was a woman and I'm thinking like a guy? I don't know. 

Emotion: One woman pointed out that King allows female characters to be emotional, but not overly so.  It's "appropriate," she said.  There was a scene when Sadie didn't want George/Jake to look at her.  I thought Sadie was being ridiculous -- but alas, the woman in my life says it was all together appropriate. 

So get this: One reason I read King is that even though his female characters drive me crazy, they strike me all the more as real! 

Of course, Carrie is a story of emotion way way way out of control.  The book starts with ministration, and ends with the lady blowing up the town.  Carrie flat out looses it.  No one will hold it against her, of course!  They world had it coming.

Description: My wife said that in "woman" books there is a lot of descriptions in regards to what women wear.  Exactly why I don't read that stuff.  King does not overload his books with clothing descriptions. 

However, my wife noted that King mentions more often what women are wearing than men.  In 11.22.63, King takes time with both Marina and Sadie to describe clothing.  He'll mention that Marina comes out in a skirt that is too short and her short shorts.  So when dealing with female characters, it seems King is able to actually write like a female author might.  Scary, eh!

Their Tough.  Don't get the idea that because King allows some tears to flow that his female characters are not tough.  That is not the case at all!  Often women in a King novel display great strength over situations -- usually situations that threaten to oppress them or bring harm to their loved ones.

In the mid 90's, King gave us three novels about strong women dealing with abuse: Dolores Claiborne, Gerald's Game and Rose Madder.  Madder involves spousal abuse, while the first two focused primarily on child abuse. 

Often when women show a strong or determined side of themselves, they are misunderstood by men!  "There she goes. . ."  "must be that time of month" and so on.

Consider Dolores Claiborne, a favorite of mine.  The entire story is told from a woman's point of view.  Dolores is tough as nails -- you would think.  But that strength comes because at heart she is a mama bear.  If she has to take care of business to stop her husbands abuse, she'll do whatever she has to.  She can't physically win a fight with him, so she traps him.  It's brilliant!  I mean, all out, wonderfully brilliant.  She out-smarts the rat.

Another tough woman appears in "A Good Marriage", in which Darcy Anderson lays a brilliant trap to knock off her serial killer husband.  How does she kill a man who has made a lifestyle of killing women?  And how does she accomplish it without getting caught herself?  What is interesting in this novel is to watch the change in Darcy.  She goes from being a "normal" 1950's-ish house wife, to a woman ready to knock off her husband!  And the transformation takes place right before the readers eyes.  Yet, in both roles, Darcy is 100% female.  Makes since, right? -- she is a female character.  But the writer is male!

Even Tommyknockers, though the main character is really a town, often takes the perspective of Bobbie Anderson. Now she's an interesting character! And a strong -- driven -- woman.

Complexity.  Women in King novels are usually pretty complex.  This makes sense, because women are. . . well, complicated.  In Gerald's Game, we see how the abuse from childhood affects a grown woman, not just her sex life, but her entire life!  I think Gerald's Game is underrated as a strong character novel.  By the way, I found the connection between Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne haunting.

King does not paint womanhood with a single brush stroke.  We get Carrie, and Carrie's mama . . . and Carrie's friends.  Each one of those was engaging because we feel like we've met a woman like that.  Have you ever met Carrie White?  Sure you have!  Probably on a school bus.  But I'll bet you've also met someone like her mama.  And, be honest, have you ever found yourself being like one of those villains who made Carrie miserable?

Why did Tabby insist King continue on with Carrie?  I think because he so accurately painted the torments of high school for a teenage girl!  I mean, that locker room scene is not fun -- but it's painfully real.  Yet, we are left to ask. . . how many girls locker rooms had King been in?  Wouldn't it have been more natural for him to have started with a male character in a similar situation?  (yes, I can think of some).  From book one, King was giving us a view of women most men have never considered.

I'm not gong to psychologize this and tell you why King is so good at writing about women.  Raised by his mother, maybe.  Sensitive?  Sure.  But maybe we can just chalk it up to a "gift."

One more example of the strong woman -- Mother Abigail is a determined, self sufficient old woman who walks with God.  Is she tough?  Well, consider this: She stands opposed to the Anti-Christ himself!  Though strong, she shows the compassion of Christ in a way that endears her to almost every reader of The Stand.  I like 'er!

Feminism.  King has gotten more than a few Feminist mad at him.  Note the book, "Imagining the Worst: Stephen King and the Representation of Women."  But it is usually ladies with an agenda who want women all represented the same way!  They're the ones doing the stereotyping!  They get upset if women are presented as emotional, and if some women are over the top, or crazy. 

King has given us many many many strong, independent women.  But he's not afraid to give us some crazy women as well.  Why?  Because -- hold on -- some women are actually crazy!  Every woman can't be the poster girl for NOW

I am actually surprised when I see heated criticism of King's female characters.  (Like HERE)  The writer of the blog article I just linked to is reading The Gunslinger, and complains that:
"I've begun to notice a disturbing trend. Every single female Roland has come across so far has been a sex-starved, manipulative wench. Even the one woman who we're supposed to sympathize with (at least, I assume we're supposed to sympathize with her). Upon further reflection, I realize that almost every single woman several of the women King writes is are like this." 
But this was written when King was something like nineteen!  It is certainly not his most emotionally mature novel.  But, in the same series, great complexity is given to Detta-Odetta.  And by the way, who in the world crosses out on their blog instead of just hitting the backspace?  Stupid article

I am sure I am supposed to go on and on at this point about how King has used writing as a means of advancing the cause of women's issues.  That's not quite the point.  We come back to King not because we want an issue pressed, but because we find the characters real and the situations they are put in riveting.

Difficult.  Some novels are so heavily slanted toward a woman's perspective, it takes more energy for me to read them.  I have yet to finish Lisey's Story, though what I've read is very good.  The same is true of Rose Madder. 

Now About Annie.  It seems a word is needed about Annie Wilkes.   She seems to think that what happens in a novel actually happens!  Her attempts to control Paul and make him rewrite Misery's Child reveal that though functional, she is extremely obsessive-compulsive and delusional.  While Annie doesn't need to define all women, be honest for a moment. . . haven't you met an Annie Wilkes or two?

15 comments:

  1. Great post, David! I'm with you: anyone accusing King of being anti-feminist seriously needs to lighten up.

    I'm going to invoke "It" yet again, and point out that Beverly is just as well-drawn a character as any of the boys/men are; she's one of King's best, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I agree completely, being a woman myself I really like all King's female characters, but however well written, it's easy to detect that a man wrote them... That doesn't matter though, he does a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a past victim of abuse, I wanted to note that Rose Madder really doesn't get enough credit for its super-realistic portrayal of woman abuse, and particularly the kind of psychological control imposed by an abuser. In the past I experienced abuse, and King has it dead-on.

    I'm particularly impressed with all the little things, like the tiny acts of rebellion (she didn't even want him to be right about what direction she turned when she left), the extent to which being sheltered makes you unprepared for real life, the timidity (she thinks Norman will flip over the amount of $ she takes, but actually he thinks it absurdly small), and the sense of paranoia. These are all very real. Anybody can portray the physical side of abuse, but it's not easy to portray the emotional and psychological control dynamics such that an actual abuse survivor will say, "Yeah, it's just like that".

    What makes Rose Madder even more impressive is the way he takes Rose out of her abused context and puts her in a new environment, encountering men and women who support her and help her become strong. Even setting aside the fantasy-world aspects of it, I found the community she enters really inspiring, and it gave me hope for a world beyond the really controlling, psychologically damaging people I always knew. And that turned out to be pretty realistic as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. I was absolutely riveted by Rose Madder the first time I read it and I go back and reread it about once or twice a year. King's writing for a woman in that situation is absolutely masterful in that book

      Delete
  4. I guess a trip through the pages of Rose Madder is in order for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing King's past of being raised primarily by his mother, often during hard times, it's insulting for anyone to say that he is anti-feminist.

    I'm honestly not a big fan of all of King's female characters (some of them are a little too crazy and bitchy for my taste), and I haven't been able to personally relate to any of them, but I do appreciate the way he writes women and what they go through and how they overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Michele! I was actually very anxious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if I thought King was terrible at writing lead female characters -- and I don't -- think I'd have no choice but to respect the heck out of him for trying so persistently. A lot of male authors don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sound of midnight by the late Charles L Grant is another novel with an interesting woman protagonist

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never read any Charles L. Grant. I need to fix that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you like quiet horror is an author for you... by the way talking about the article what about Stephen King naming one of his more virile and strong characters Dale Barbara?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got a copy of Grant's "Tales from the Nightside" (bought it because it's got an introduction by King!); I'll give it a read one of these days.

    Good point about Barbie. That WAS courageous. And annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually googled this because I've always found Stephen King's women to be unbelievable. Often times they've made me cringe- just as they have you. As a women, I can't believe it's because they've done something I wouldn't have, and I'm just uncomfortable with their decision. It's because he's failed to build good characters. I grew up reading King, and going back and reading further as an adult, I've realized just how much his writing is lacking. His plotlines, originally based on good ideas, die halfway through the books. His writing is entertaining, but short of, as I've said, comfortable. You can't fully feel like his worlds are there, like his storyline is well developed and leading somewhere worthy of its beginning. Maybe this is due to the fact that I've mostly read his larger works, and while he pulls from tolkien fails to amass his genius in detail. (I think his best ending was just in the idea from the dark tower, that there can be no end. How tidy for him.)
    But a big problem, I feel, comes from his characters. As characters in any novel, they are tools, but in King's novels, they never become more than just that. He never gives them much life, or complexity. The only character in The Stand I felt intrigued by was Harold Lauder, and I feel that in some way he represents the young King struggling as a 16 year old writer himself.
    But on women...no. He makes his women turn a little too aggressive, a little too quickly. every now and then he comes out with an angry phrase that I know a woman would never say, and he fails to give them reasons. Maybe it's just the way he writes his characters, unapologetically, jagged-edged, not letting the reader in much. This doesn't convey as well for women as it does for men. He should have stuck to his Rolands. Quite, dark, and with their actions giving us more than their words. those characters I'm more likely to believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part I feel like the vast majority of King's characters come off as believable and realistic and compelling.

      I agree with you about Harold Lauder, though; despicable though he may be, he is easily one of the best-drawn characters in "The Stand."

      Delete