Early Review Of: The Wind Through The Keyhole


The Honk Mafah has already posted a review of The Wind Through The Keyhole. 

Already! Meaning: It has arrived at his house, he read the the whole thing already, and snapped out a nice long review. Seriously!

Don't rush out to your local book store (as if there were still book stores to rush out to), because he didn't read the trade edition. Of course, what this means is that Mr. Honk Mafah has been up reading his signed artist edition! What is he thinking? Those things aren't made to be read, they are made for the shelf.

Did he like it? Of course he did! Come on, it's a Stephen King Dark Tower book!

Bryant offers these assurances:
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole not only does absolutely NOTHING to tarnish the legacy of a great series of novels, it actually strengthens it. 
  • it feels 100% as though this story fits -- tonally, stylistically, and plotwise -- with the rest of the series. 
  • Any prospective Book IV-and-a-half can't do much in the way of altering the series' storyline. . . 
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole also serves to provide an even better transition from the Roland of the first three novels to the slightly more touchy-feely Roland of the final three novels. 
  • on its own (WTTK) stands as what I might consider to be King's strongest-ever tale of pure fantasy. 
  • (I really like this) -- this is the most satisfying of the tales, for the simple reason that it returns our ka-tet to the state in which many Tower fans enjoyed them the most: all together, on the road, with a far-flung destination in mind and no idea of how long it might take to get there. It's nice to have Jake and Eddie and Oy alive again; it's nice for Susannah to get flustered and for Detta Walker to pop out of her and start cussin' up a storm. 

Okay, I'll stop giving sound bites! (There is a nice Star Wars picture in his review.) I enjoyed the review. And, for those of you who hesitate -- there really are no spoilers! Trust me, okay.
The review is HERE.
Well done, Bryant!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, David!

    I'm sure the novel will disappoint some fans -- what book DOESN'T? -- but I suspect most Tower fanatics are going to eat this sucker right up.

    I know I did.

    And yes, you're entirely correct about me reading my signed-by-Jae-Lee artist's edition (which cost me the princely sum of $83 once shipping was factored in) and thereby devaluing it.

    Would I do it again?

    Oh yeah ... every time, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you must now become famous -- so that when you die, your notes in books actually makes them more valuable.

    Guy says: "I sold a Bible for $10 !
    Pastor: "Really? A Bible?"
    Guy: Yep, but it was no good. It was old, called Guttenberg or something.
    Pastor: You sold a GUTTENBERG!
    Guy: Well, it was no good, because some guy named Martin Luther had written notes all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book. I really do. And enjoyed your review and comments, but....
    Something is off....
    The sentence structure....
    the language...
    Am I crazy, (totally possible!) or did someone else write this book?

    Of course, I also unwrapped and read my artist edition, as I believe a book is meant to be read.
    Really, I would like to know if anyone else noticed.....anything different.....
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Okay. Thanks.

      But seriously...
      roland's voice in particular.....it sounds younger and softer than even in mejis.
      Other things,too. The pacing is strange...

      Delete
    2. I don't recall thinking at any point that King's writing voice -- or his grasp on how to write Roland, Eddie, et al -- was off in this book. And I have felt that before: for some reason, "Big Driver" seemed off to me, as did "A Good Marriage." I liked both, but they sounded ... different. With "The Wind Through the Keyhole," I actually felt that quite the opposite was true: that he'd managed to completely recapture the sound of the earlier DT novels.

      As for Roland's voice sounding younger and softer ... well, I'm not sure if you're referring to his voice in the "Starkblast" section, the "Skin Man" segment, or both. Again, I didn't notice anything like that, but I think I can defend it either way.

      In "Starkblast," remember that Roland has very recently let his barriers down and -- in one unnaturally long night -- told his tet-mates the tale of his tragic months in Mejis. From that point onward in the series, Roland was a changed man in some ways, showing an increase of emotion and sensitivity.

      In "Skin Man," he is still recovering emotionally from both Susan's death AND from his own matricide. If he sounds softer than he sounded in Mejis, that seems entirely appropriate, as in Mejis he was fresh off gaining his manhood as a gunslinger, whereas in this new adventure he is a chastened and badly beaten young man.

      What I'm saying is that everything in "The Wind Through the Keyhole" seemed utterly consistent with the rest of the series to me.

      That's just me, though. Glad you liked the book either way.

      And also, I'm glad someone else bought this book SO THEY COULD ACTUALLY READ IT! Reading may not be the only reason to buy a book, but it's certainly the most important one.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the well thought defense. I have more thoughts, but it is way too long to write on my tiny phone keypad!!
      I do agree with you on ” a good marriage”,
      Though I liked it very much...but did not feel that way with” big driver”.
      Anyway, I am rereading....yes, full well knowing that I am de valuing my purchase!
      I mostly bought it because I could justify the extra cost in being able to read it early!!
      I would love to have further discussion, if you like!

      Delete
    4. I'm looking forward to discussing the book in-depth. However, I know David hasn't had a chance to read the book yet, so I'd be reluctant to talk much about the specifics lest we ruin the experience for him.

      The review over at my blog might be a more suitable place:

      http://honkmahfah.blogspot.com/2012/02/brief-review-of-dark-tower-wind-through.html#more

      Delete
    5. Excellent. Thanks. My email is
      turtleandrose19@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. I don't mind y'all discussing the book in detail. Knowing does not spoil a book for me, as I enjoy it all the more. Sometimes knowing the map helps you enjoy the journey. (that's deep, eh.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And welcome to the discussions, Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I figured out how not be anonymous!
    Thank you for the welcome!

    I absolutely do not want to ruin the story for you...it is full of wonderful surprises and small discoveries that for me, a long time tower junkie, were a joy. I do hope I have not said too much already!

    Thanks for a great site!....I have limited internet access and even less skill, but I will check here often.

    one question.....could a tower junkie really keep this one in plastic???? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No spoilers in wind through the keyhole huh? Your review just spoiled the final book for me: "It's nice to have Jake, Eddie and Oy alive again." Thanks dude, didn't know that they were going to die. Please be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um. The dark tower came out quite ago now. If you have not read it, maybe you should wait to read reviews of the next book.

      Delete