SYFY takes on EYES OF THE DRAGON

picture credit, Darek Kocurek (HERE)

This is exciting: I've hoped for years that Eyes Of The Dragon would become a movie.  Of course, I've  also always  hoped Disney would do it. Dread Central, EW and Lilja's Library are all reporting that SYFY (that's not how you spell Sifi) has decided to take the project on.  I'm hoping for a mini-series format.

Lilja's Library posted (linking from EW)
Stephen King’s fantasy novel Eyes of the Dragon could at last become a movie or miniseries. 
The 1987 bestseller is being developed by Syfy as a longform project, along with a scripted drama series based on the comic Grey Legion and two high-concept movie projects. The network is set to announce all the titles later today at its upfront presentation in New York City. 
Michael Taylor (Battlestar Galactica) and Jeff Vintar (I, Robot) will pen the Dragon script, with Taylor and Bill Haber as executive producers
Dreadcentral reports:
Among the scripted development projects are adaptations of popular works by best-selling novelists such as Stephen King (Eyes of the Dragon). . . 
Eyes of the Dragon – Based on Stephen King’s best-selling novel. A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of good to fight for what is rightfully his. Writers: Michael Taylor (Defiance, Battlestar Galactica) and Jeff Vintar (I, Robot). Executive producers: Michael Taylor and Bill Haber. A production of Universal Cable Productions and Ostar Productions.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I'll admit when Sci-Fi made that stupid name change it lost a lot of points with me, and to be fair a lot of what I've seen of late from that channel hasn't filled me with confidence.

    Still, shows like the lost room have kind of inventiveness about them and, well, you never know.

    It is possible they might pull it off. I just hope they csat the role of Flagg right and don't give ti over to either some hammy scen chewer or else to someone with no sense of humor.

    A question that did occur to me was this. Do you think Sci-Fi would be a good home for a 11/22/63 mini-series?

    I admit I'm kind of worried they'd just glossy the story up so that it's all flash and little substance. If you ask me, HBO would make a better place for a mini-series. They have more money to throw around, and they are indulgent of television that's shot as if it were a feature length movie.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just heard that Eyes will be done as a four part miniseries, so it's official now.

    It's time to cross all fingers and hope for the best.

    There's a mantra I've cribbed from a rifftrax riff that I find myself saying whenever I hope things won't go toes up on me. It goes: Don't poke me with a stick, don't poke me with a stick, please don't with a stick.

    I don't know if that helps, but it's worth a try.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are absolutely right -- the casting of Flagg is going to be vital to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be excited by this project, but I can't since SyFy is doing it. Nothing but rubbish on that channel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite King books and the one that got me hooked on the fantasy genre. I hope they do as good an adaption as they did with Dune and Children of Dune!!

    ReplyDelete