Humphrey: How Pet Sematary Changed My Life


Photo credit: HERE

I enjoyed Joe Humphrey’s article, “How Pet Sematary Changed My Life” very much!  It relates not only thoughts on Pet Sematary, but on reading Stephen King.

Here are the first couple of paragraphs of his article:
In 1989 I was 11 years old and I was not fond of horror movies. I had seen horror movies but they scared me and I didn’t understand why a person would choose to do something that scared them. I didn’t enjoy the sensation of fear and there were things in my life that actually were legitimately scary. My childhood had its share of real monsters. 
When I was three or four, I saw the movie The Wizard of Oz and was terrified of the flying monkeys. Even more so, there was one scene where Dorothy is in the Wicked Witch of the West’s tower prison and the image of her Aunt Em appears in a crystal ball. Dorothy calls out to the image and it transforms into the Witch’s mocking, cackling face as she barks “AUNTIE EM! AUNTIE EM!” at a sobbing Dorothy.
Full article PARACINEMA.COM (HERE)

1 comment:

  1. Not bad, actually. It's funny that in asking the question why people want to scare themselves, the author spends the rest of the article detailing why people do it, i.e. because they don't want to be scared anymore.

    Profound when you think about it.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete