EBAY: It's A Whaaaat ?

I love ebay!  But, you definitely have to be discerning. And, you also have to decide exactly what King items you want to own.

I stick pretty close to books, magazines and one toy car of Christine.  I don't mess -- much -- with Red Leather editions, though  I have a few.  I've spotted Stephen King cuckoo clocks, Christmas ornaments, a photo of Christine -- "signed" by the car (meaning the car  ran over it). Photo's always strike me as strange.  I read Stephen King, I don't plaster my bedroom with his pictures!

I do own some -- odd stuff, but it's mostly in book  form.  A  pop-up book, copies of the Castle Rock, books that have King introductions, and The Mist and  The Stand on audio tape.  (TAPE!)  How about a Desperation/Regulators shrink-wrapped together with a book light.  No, I don't really "get it", but I got it.

Sometimes ebay pops up with a search result that makes you go, "huh?"  Stuff I didn't even know existed.

Here's an example:


Cats Meow 1991 THE WILLIAM ARNOLD HOUSE -STEPHEN KINGS RESIDENCE 





"I havea not super great condition William Arnold House by Cats Meow, co 1991, this is signed on the back 93. This is Stephen Kings House in Bangor, Maine! There was some water damage to the bottom of the wood and there is slight pitting of paint on front, cleaned it up as best I could. But hopefully someone would like a spare one or you can try to restore it yourself. This house has a gate in the front of the door which looks like a spider's web with bats!"

A what?  What is a "William Arnold House by Cats Meow" ?!  It looks like a box. Why would someone want a box of Stephen King's house?  I mean, isn't that. . . uhhh. . . kinda strangely personal?  I'll admit, King's Bangor home is super duper cool.  Looks like an old haunted mansion.  But, I don't want my house full of little miniatures of his house!




Let me rant for a moment. . .

I don't get it!  Reading Stephen King and thinking he's super cool is one thing; but some people really are strange!  Take the Christmas decoration, for instance.  Why would you want Stephen King's house on your Christmas Tree?  Who really wants their kitchen clock to be a version of The Shining?

I'm not even sure I know why I think first editions are so cool.  Seriously, it's just a book.  Why pay more when it's really about  the story, right?  Why is my big super copy of IT better than the paperback?  I don't know.  But I know I like that Cemetery Dance edtion of IT!  But I don't sit around reading it.

HERE is a whole page devoted to King ornaments.
HERE is my article  on the King House Christmas Ornament.

So, tell me. . .
1. What are you collecting guidelines.  What do you collect, and what is on your "not interested" list?
2. What is a "William Arnold House by Cats Meow"?
3. What strange things have you spotted? (I didn't even start to  list the toys and miniatures.)

4 comments:

  1. My collecting guidelines are simple: I collect it if it seem cool to me, and if I can afford it. For the most part, I buy only the books themselves, as well as the movies, the occasional movie soundtrack, magazines/anthologies containing short stories, and audiobooks. Oh, and books about King and his work.

    In a theoretical sense, though, I'd love to buy toys and posters and t-shirts and art prints and stuff. I just don't have the money for it. Maybe someday...

    As for this Cat's Meow thing ... it seems a little on the tacky side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have room to display them, or I'd have a collection of miniature houses, castles, missions, whatever. I love miniatures of buildings. I don't know why. I just do. So I'll have my son build some Lego versions for me that we can enjoy for awhile, then take apart and build something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's build a model of that scary school we used to live across the street from. And add a spider web gate just for fun!

    ReplyDelete