Stephen King Books That Make Great Bedtime Reading



I know some of you will say "all of them."  But which Stephen King books are actually best to curl up with late at night?  Are there certain books you prefer to read before bed?

My list:
1. Books ABOUT Stephen King.  It's true.  I'm more likely to read books that discuss King's books than I am to actually read a Stephen King book.

2. Short books.  I'm not very daring right before I fall asleep.  So novella's and short stories fall nicely into this category.  Only -- I have a confession.  Don't hate me, okay?  I'm not really a short story guy.  It's an odd relationship.  Some of them are great, but it's difficult to invest time, knowing the relationship won't last.  Novella's are just perfect, though.  Satisfying, without requiring a lot of commitment.

The Mist, The Langoliers, 1922, A Good Marriage, Blockade Billy are a few of my favorites.

3. Books I just can't part with.  I read The Stand day and night because I just couldn't stop.

4. Booklets and paperbacks.  Those little parts of the Green Mile were great bedtime reading.

So what Stephen King books do you prefer before falling asleep?

P.S., I know some of you want that bed.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to go into want-to-stay-awake mode when I read, so I don't read in bed.

    Books about King are good, though. Especially if they tend to have fairly brief sections. For example, I am currently reading one called "The Wit and Wisdom of Stephen King" that consists of about a hundred pages of quotations from King on various subjects. That would probably make for near-perfect bedtime reading.

    Just not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that it's really hard finding any books about King. Steve Pettie makes a good case for his being a "classic" author, but apparently most academe are still playing catch up. Thank goodness for George Beahm, Michael R. Collings, Bev Vincent, Steve Spignesi and Tony Magistrale, that's all I'll say.

    I actually find myself reading anything before going to be, not just King.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete