Mr. Mercedes Drives Toward The Big Screen


Madison Barnes at The Tracking Board posted news that the rights to Mr. Mercedes have been bought by Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey.  Of course, the novel hasn't even hit a store shelf yet.

Barnes offers this ominous tagline to her summery of the novel, "If you’ve never looked at a Mercedes Benz and felt the the imposing chill of death… you soon will!"

Jack Bender is set to direct the film.  Bender is known for work on “Lost,” “Alias,” “Under the Dome” and “The Sopranos.”

Barnes writes:
The producers are currently meeting with writers as they aggressively continue development on King’s story. Were it any other writer, I would say the reception of the book may be a hinderance for development, but who are we kidding? King’s fascinating horror stories have kept readers and audiences enthralled for decades, starting all the way back with “Carrie” and “The Shining,” in the late ’70s/early ’80s. You probably don’t even realize how many other movies and television series have been based on his extensive writings, including “The Shawshank Redemption,” “The Green Mile,” “Hearts in Atlantis,” “Stand by Me,” and even “Secret Window” (to name a few). He also has over 20 films currently in development, including “The Dark Tower,” “The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon,” “Doctor Sleep,” and remakes of “Children of the Corn,” “Firestarter,” and “It.”

Full Story: www.tracking-board.com

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard about Mr. Mercedes, I admit I wasn't all that excited about the prospect of a guy who mows people down with his Mercedes. REVIVAL seemed way more up my alley.

    But after learning a few more tidbits about it, namely, that it's more of a detective story - - my interest began growing. I'm glad I ordered the slipcased edition from Cemetery Dance - - w/my $40 off coupon for being a member of their 2014 Book Club, total cost to me for slipcased Scribner 1st ed. HC = $14.95 -- a deal I couldn't resist.

    There's one (minor) problem with ordering the slipcased editions from CD. And that is, they never get em shipped in on time. The book will be available on store shelves way before my slipcased edition arrives, but considering what I'm paying, and also that I take my own long time getting around to reading the new novels anyhow, it all evens out in the long run.

    Looking forward to the movie version...I'm beginning to suspect, maybe Mr. Mercedes will be a "sleeper" novel; i.e, better than expected.

    ReplyDelete