YAHOO: Who Was Stephen King's Inspiration for His 'Under the Dome' Villain?

Check out this yahoo article on Big Jim, titled, "Who Was Stephen King's Inspiration for His 'Under the Dome' Villain?"  (tv.yahoo.com)

Kelly Woo writes,
If the villain of "Under the Dome," which premiered to an audience of 13.14 million viewers making it the most-watched summer drama on any network since 1992, seems familiar, it's because he's based on former Vice President Dick Cheney.
and,
Norris revealed, "Stephen King whispered in my ear, 'You're Dick Cheney. That's who you are.'"
Yep, Big Jim is Cheney in King's view.  
 With recent developments of the government spying -- I wonder if Big Jim might have a broader context than first offered.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that liberals cannot complain about the hyper-polarization of American politics if they're going to use every medium possible to demonize those they don't like. I think stuff like this gives King less credibility when discussing things like gun control with the very people he needs to build bridges to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My opinion of Stephen King as a human being dropped considerably on the last few pages of Joyland when he revealed he was peeved that Dick Cheney received a heart transplant.

    What do you make of someone so willing to peddle flesh? What do you make of someone who is disappointed that a life was saved because he disagrees with that person's politics?

    I can't imagine hating anyone so much I wished they were dead -- let alone someone I'd never met. Apparently, Stephen King has no such compunctions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, Brian. I felt it was a deep weakness when you display such deep hatred of another human that you resent their lifes breath on earth.

    ReplyDelete