THE MIST: "H" Is For Hope


Check out Carole Goldberg's article "Stephen King Thrilled To Be Benefiting Twain House"
 at courant.com.

After spending some time telling us that King really is a nice guy -- not the monster we might suspect -- she relies bits of a very interesting interview with King.  "just seeing my name in the same sentence with Mark Twain's was a thrill."

King discusses his love for Tom Sawyer, favorite scenes from the novel, and his preference for horror over superheros.  (What would a Stephen King superhero look like?  Carrie.)

And then there is this bit about the ending to the Mist:
Fans of King who have read his 1980 novella, "The Mist," will recall its ending, when a brave band of ordinary Mainers who are fighting and fleeing horrific extra-terrestrial creatures hears one word amidst the static on the radio.
That word is "Hartford."
King says he chose it because it begins with an H, "like hope. I wanted a place south of Maine — where maybe, they'll get out.
"Whenever I go through a mist, I cross myself," he says.
I like that a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment