Guns




From King's website, stephenking.com
Stephen has written an essay discussing his thoughts on the gun control/gun rights issue facing the U.S., available now as a Kindle Single through Amazon.com.
“I think the issue of an America awash in guns is one every citizen has to think about,” said King. “If this helps provoke constructive debate, I’ve done my job. Once I finished writing ‘Guns’ I wanted it published quickly, and Kindle Singles provided an excellent fit.”
From Amazon: In a pulls-no-punches essay intended to provoke rational discussion, Stephen King sets down his thoughts about gun violence in America. Anger and grief in the wake of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School are palpable in this urgent piece of writing, but no less remarkable are King’s keen thoughtfulness and composure as he explores the contours of the gun-control issue and constructs his argument for what can and should be done.
King is donating all profits to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

King begins the essay by taking is down a the well known path of what happens when there is a mass shooting.  King moves quickly from crime to the need for gun control to the NRA's opposition -- and concluding with a repeat of the cycle of violence.

In the second section, King discusses his book, RAGE, which I read recently. He documents case by case instances when his book was directly cited as part  of a violent crime.  Scary stuff.  After a 1997 shooting, King writes, "That was enough for me, even though at the time, the Loukaitis and Carneal shootings were the only Rage-related ones of which I was aware. I asked my publishers to pull the novel from publication." King points out the difficulty in this, since it required pulling the story from the Bachman collection of books.

It had been reported that  King apologized for writing Rage.  No Sir, King insists.  He  writes,

I never did and never would. It took more than one slim novel to cause Cox, Pierce, Loukaitis, and Carneal to do what they did. These were unhappy boys with deep psychological problems, boys who were bullied at school and bruised at home by parental neglect or outright abuse.
King notes he pulled the novel with regret.  Not because it was great literature, but because " it contained a nasty glowing center of truth that was more accessible to me as an adolescent. Adults do not forget the horrors and shamings of their childhood, but those feelings tend to lose their immediacy"  I find that  incredibly insightful.

There's a lot more in the essay -- and it's REALLY good!

The Essay is laid out as follows:
1. The Shake
2. Rage
3. Drunks in a Barroom
4. Culture of Violence
5. From my cold dead hands.  (No, Moses did not say that!)
6. No Solutions, Reasonable Measures
Epilogue

Purchase the essay HERE.

7 comments:

  1. Here is Knig's similar essay, The Bogeyboys, published way back in 99.

    http://www.horrorking.com/interview7.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. I think it incredibly arrogant for a guy to write a public opinion piece, and then expect people to pay to read it. Hubris in the extreme. . .

    I'm not a gun owner and don't have strong feelings on the issue of guns one way or the other.

    However, I feel strongly that artists ought to stick to their art and not abuse the positions they attained through their art to foist their political views on us.

    Stick to storytelling, Mr. King. If I want an op-ed, I'll read the Washington Post. What a writer of fiction has to say on the issues of the day is as pertinent to me as what my next door neighbor has to say -- which is to say it's not that important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, do us all a favor and define for us what the bounds of Stephen King's art ought to be. I'm sure we'd all be very interested to know at what point, exactly, he should begin to keep his mouth shut.

      Delete
  3. and if you read an op-ed in the Washington Post, you'll have to pay for that publication. I have no problem with it, as you know on the forefront what you're buying (for 99 cents).

    King isn't making money on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the Washington Post for free online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are we going to overthrow the right-wing police state without guns?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have the courage to use your name, anonymous, it will spur better judgment in your online comments.

    ReplyDelete