Stealing Stephen King

Randy Cohen writing for the New York Times "The Ethicist" section was asked about illegal downloads. The question was pretty simple, the answer long and surprising. Simply put, the question was: If I buy the hardcover, can I steal the download? Here's the full question:

I bought an e-reader for travel and was eager to begin “Under the Dome,” the new Stephen King novel. Unfortunately, the electronic version was not yet available. The publisher apparently withheld it to encourage people to buy the more expensive hardcover. So I did, all 1,074 pages, more than three and a half pounds. Then I found a pirated version online, downloaded it to my e-reader and took it on my trip. I generally disapprove of illegal downloads, but wasn’t this O.K.? C.D., BRIGHTWATERS, N.Y.

a few great quotes from the answer:

1. First quote -- A new brand of ethics:
An illegal download is — to use an ugly word — illegal. But in this case, it is not unethical. Author and publisher are entitled to be paid for their work, and by purchasing the hardcover, you did so. Your subsequent downloading is akin to buying a CD, then copying it to your iPod.

2. Second quote -- A swipe at King:
Your action is not pristine. Downloading a bootleg copy could be said to encourage piracy, although only in the abstract: no potential pirate will actually realize you’ve done it. It’s true that you might have thwarted the publisher’s intent — perhaps he or she has a violent antipathy to trees, maybe a wish to slaughter acres of them and grind them into Stephen King novels. Or to clog the highways with trucks crammed with Stephen King novels. Or perhaps King himself wishes to improve America’s physique by having readers lug massive volumes.

A violent antipathy to trees? This guy is writing in a newsPAPER.

3. Third quote -- the bottom line:
Your paying for the hardcover put you in the clear as a matter of ethics, forestry and fitness training.

So. . . if I buy a copy, I can steal a copy? As a consumer, I really like this new brand of ethics. As a collector, this is great stuff! Buying the hardcover of a King novel should give me the download? Really? Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Follow the logic, okay. If buying something in one format should give me access to all other formats then. . .
  • When my parents Beatles vinyl records became 8-tracks, they should have been able to get free 8-tracks. Wait. . .
  • Then when the audio tape was released of the 8-track, then they should have been able to get a free audio tape. Wait. . .
  • Then when the same recording was put to CD, they should have gotten a free CD. And. . .
  • When the CD became an MP3 they should have gotten a free MP3. All for buying an 8 track back in 1960--something.

Or, let me put it this way:

  • My wife had a video of The Lion King.
  • We bought a DVD of the Lion King.
  • Soon we will buy a blue ray.
  • But according to the new ethics, we are in our right to steal a copy from the publisher.

Here's the thing: The Times is not saying you can transfer your existing copy to another format. That is generally accepted. IE, there's nothing wrong with transferring your tapes to CD's. But there is something wrong with taking it via download. You're not transferring your item, you're taking a new copy in a new format. That, I'm sorry to say, is stealing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04FOB-ethicist-t.html

No comments:

Post a Comment