10 Things I LIke About "Welcome To Haven"

With all the complaining from certain sources -- even calling it a bastard child of Eureka and having the feeling of a soap opera -- I began with pretty low expectations. After watching this, I have to wonder why anyone pays any attention to reviews! I like this. It isn't soapish!

So, this is a pretty simple top 10 list of what I like about Haven:
1. Lots of action. Lightening storms, cars over cliffs -- good stuff.
2. Strange characters. Haven has lots of towns people that I look forward to learning more about. It has the trappings of the early chapters of a good Stephen King novel.
3. Great scenery. The small coastal town setting is nice. They aren't trapped on redundant sets. Passes for Maine for me! Of course, I've never been there.
4. Tension between major characters. What made Star Wars good (the real star wars movies) was partly the tension between the good guys. If felt real. Same is true of Haven. I like the line, "You've really got to work on your thank you's!"
5. Lots of turns and twists. This isn't a show that you can guess quite where it's going. Hey, I'm an ADHD type television watcher, and it holds my interest. There is plenty of mystery here.
6. It feels "big." That is, there's extras, or when extras aren't int eh frame, you hear stuff in the background (phones, people talking) that make you feel like it's bigger than it is. Street scenes are especially good, lots of movement. Sounds like a strange thing to like, but I was really ready for serious duds-ville after those bad reviews.
7. The scenes move quickly. They aren't dragged out with painful dialogue.
8. The music is good throughout and also gives the feelings of movement.
9. There are plenty of comic moments, without sinking to gags. It promises to be a series that can play off the characters layer upon layer.
10. There are direct connections made to the Colorado Kid novel by Stephen King. These aren't hints you have to dig deep to pick up on.

Funny, Emily Rose always wakes up with her hair nicely brushed, parted int he middle. How do you do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment