The endless allure of Stephen King

Check out The Globe and Mail's interview with author Ransom Riggs.  He discusses in particular the inspiration Stephen King has been to his own writing.

Riggssays, "My love of Stephen King led to a love of movies – starting with Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining – that made me want to make films, and I picked up a video camera and forgot about writing fiction for a while."

I really identify with this:
During my Stephen King phase, I wrote short stories and novellas about serial killers, ghosts, monsters, all in a wry, seen-it-all voice that was my 13-year-old self’s best impression of King. 
As a teen I loved writing fiction.  My biggest influence was Ken Follett, Conan Doyle and later Stephen King. A love of Sherlock Holmes lead me to write a series of stories about an adventurer named Roy Swiss.  Follett inspired me to write a long novel called, "Tears and Laughter."  It was about a walled city that thinks they are the only people on earth.  I really enjoyed writing it.

Writing was a needed escape from the horrors of Junior High and High School.  Not fun places.  But, they were so real, it wasn't hard to create characters.

When I first read  The Stand, I was overwhelmed with a feeling  that I too wanted to write  story about the end of the world.  When I was fifteen and wrote about 300 pages of a novel called Silent Perimeter.  Get this -- it was about a large city (Los Angeles renamed) that is surrounded by a massive fog that cannot be penetrated.  My thought was  that it would be a confined version of The Stand, using ideas King had presented in The Mist.  I didn't realize at the time just how much I was taking from King.  Of course, now it seems very much like Under The Dome, but that wasn't around back then.

Who has inspired your art?

2 comments:

  1. I once wrote this story about a would be sculptor and the statue of a lady that comes to life.

    Other than that, I have no real ideas. I still have this thought based around The Secret of Nimh. It's a good film, yet I always felt it wanted to be more, but was constrained by time and budget. It has to do with the nature of an amulet at the center of the story and finding out just what that thing is. I don't know, however I always thought the film wanted to be an exploration of Transcendence and what happens when that meets the world of materialistic science.

    My idea picks up after the main character escapes from a cage and is captured by Nimh. While there, she turns to tables on her captors in an unusual sort of way.

    She begins drawing developing pictures of a Diagram, and to tell the truth there it all gets a bit too complicated.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a mix between Desperation and The Regulators when I was 16. My Philosophy teacher( a really cool cat) enjoyed a lot. Now, I´ve written 3 novels, and the influence of SK is very notable, mostly the use of a lot of characters and my preferance for using children as protagonists.

    ReplyDelete