I'm Thinking. . . LIBRARY POLICE!



yahoo.com has  posted news that a Copperas Cove man was arrested for not returning his library book.
ulie Lehmann of the Copperas Cove Police Department said they don't hunt down people with overdue books, they just snag them when they are at a traffic stop or have some other reason to come in contact with these criminals.

The article gives these examples of good  folk arrested for overdue books:

  • Christopher Anspach pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 10 days in jail. He also was required to pay a $625 fine and "restitution for the materials."
  • In 2011, an Iowa man was arrested for failure to return roughly $700 worth of items from his local branch. 
  • And. . . in 2012, police went to the home of 4-year-old Katelyn Jageman to investigate four books that had not been returned. Fortunately, Katelyn stayed out of prison, but her mother was asked to pay an $81.60 fine. The books, which included "Dora the Explorer: The Halloween Cat," were also returned, according to KDKA.
So next time it takes forty five minutes for police to respond to a 911 call -- guess what they're doing. . .

2 comments:

  1. how often have we been told a book was overdue when it was actually returned? Should we call the police on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My library made me pay for a book they said I hadn't returned. A week later, it turned up on their shelves. When I asked for my money back, they asked if I could wait six weeks 'til their next board meeting. I said: 'No! You didn't give me six weeks to pay for a book that wasn't even MISSING!'

    ReplyDelete