Underrated Stephen King Novels



Just so we all understand, by underrated I mean overlooked.  These are the books I think were actually pretty good -- if not great  -- novels that are so often just overlooked.

Here are the five most underrated (in my opinion) -- offer your own list.  I love it!

5. Christine.  When released, this novel was overshadowed by the publication of Pet Sematary.  Also, there is the awkward situation with the change in narration --1st person to 3rd person to 1st person.  But don't let a little issue of point of view keep  you from this truly gruesome novel!  It's good stuff, trust me.  (talkstephenking : CHRISTINE Journal)

4. Dolores Claiborne.  I think this is King at his best!  Yet, it seems to just fall in the pile with other books when King discussions come around.  Why?  This book is as tightly woven as a Ken Follett spy novel and as rich as a Dickens character drama.  The first person narration that drives  this story is so strong, it's hard for me to believe King wrote this and not a female.

Now, there is a pretty good movie and play about the book.  But still, I don't sense that people really appreciate just how well told this story is.

3. The Langoliers. This one suffers from bad press because of bad Hollywood!  A novella stretched into a mini-series turned into total mind-numbing boredom.  However, the story is great.  I found it to be a page  turner, anxious to find out what  had happened.

2. The Sun Dog.  Is this one great writing?  Maybe not.  But it's a good story -- very Twilight Zoneish.  I liked it a lot, but never hear much about it.

1. The MOST underrated? --  Needful Things.  

Needful things is creepy, all out gory and well told.  In fact, it's very well told!  Interconnecting plots, great characters and gutsy story telling keep this thick novel moving.  King has said he saw it as a parable of the 80's.  I didn't see that.  Honestly, I just saw  a really good novel!  The book is held together by a very bad man and a very good Sheriff.  Needful things has some of the scariest scenes I've ever encountered in a book.  When the two women have a knife fight in broad daylight right in the middle of the road. . . that's getting pretty crazy!

The end of Needful Things was not as strong as the rest of the novel.  I liked the fight and all the bits King pulled together  there; but Pangborn being confronted with video of his wife's death seemed out of place.

What really drives this story -- as with any good King story -- are great characters.  Much like in Tommyknockers, this is the story of an entire town becoming possessed.  We see various addictions formed as people get what  they think they want.  Want to make love to Elvis?  Want to spend your time betting over a toy racetrack?  Need a sure cure to that terrible arthritis?  Needful Things has it all.

What really hurt  Needful things was the terrible screen adaptation.  Fans should be screaming for a recall!  The movie started great, but went downhill quickly.  Unfortunately, I suspect many think they know the book by the movie.

.................
Your turn!  What King novels (or novella's) just don't get their deserved press?

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree with Sun Dog and Langoliers, especially about the ending of Needful Things needing work.

    To that list I'd add a whole lot of repetition of things I've said elsewhere, however here goes.

    Blaze
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes
    The Dark Half
    Regulaters/Desperation
    Hearts in Atlantis (is this one overlooked?)
    Everything's Eventual collection
    Secret Window/Secret Garden
    Dreamctcher

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Duma Key
    2. The Long Walk
    3. Full Dark, No Stars
    4. Hearts in Atlantis
    5. Cell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I might agree that Duma Key is maybe his most underappreciated; it seems like nobody really talks about that one, but it just totally floored me with how much I enjoyed it.

      Other than that, I think I might vote for Danse Macabre.

      Delete
  3. My favorite Stephen King novels are The Green Mile, Bag Of Bones, and Hearts In Atlantis. I would say Hearts In Atlantis would be the most underrated, because the only thing we hear about is the film that was fascinating, but didn't capture all of the stories.

    The Green Mile was popular due to the film and Bag Of Bones was the novel that caught the attention of literary critics that shunned King as "that horror fiction writer."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris. . . did you actually LIKE Lisey's Story ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you see, it's like this.

      I'd gotten as far as the Yum yum tree chapter, and it wasn't the writing style that made me stop.

      Instead it was the wondering suspicion I was reading Rosemary Rogers or Daniele Steele type novel, which (say sorry if I must, yet it's true) I'm just not a fan of, so I put it away.

      Recently I gave it a think over. Yes, the style could use some work, yes King's romanticism sounds clumsy when he tries to "bare his soul" instead of letting the stories natural rhythms take over like on It.

      My only defense is the contrast of Moby Dick the novel as it still stands, and Moby Dick the story as it was fined tuned by Ray Bradbury.

      What Bradbury showed was that, yes, there was in fact a tale worth hearing underneath the clumsy telling.

      So, with that in mind, I soon plan to get back to the Bool Hunt after I get books like Blaze and Joyland out of the way

      And by the way, Blaze I'm now convinced IS one of his greatest.

      ChrisC

      Delete