King: Writing Is What God Put Me On Earth To Do



I enjoyed this 1981 PEOPLE magazine article, titled, "For Years, Stephen King's Firestarter Was Wife Tabitha; Now She Burns to Write, Too." (www.people.com)
What's kind of cool about old dated articles is you see how they come out.  Often you read a magazine just a few years old, and the couples have broken up and the love is gone.  But when love endures the story is more interesting.

Here's an interesting quote:
The marriage is built upon a healthy combination of respect and friendly give-and-take. "We have a pact not to argue about drinking, hair and dope," says Tabby, but everything else is fair game.
We know now that Tabby would eventually step in and force King to make some hard decisions.  Consider this: If she had not stepped in, think how messed up he would have been.  So in a way -- all you dark tower freaks -- she saved the Dark Tower.

This article actually sent me searching for my copy of Tabitha King's Small World.  No, I did not find it right away.  No, I have not read it.  But it sounds interesting -- "a fantasy about a mad scientist and his minimizer."

I like this:
Both concede that Small World's sales have been boosted by the fact that Tabby is Steve's wife. "I put 10 years into helping his career," she reasons, "so if his name helps me with mine, I think it's legitimate." 
When the article was written (and I think this is still true) the King's saw writing very differently.
But Tabby says that "writing is only the frosting on my cake. I'm whole without it." For Steve it is different. "If I weren't writing," he admits, "I might be like that guy in the Texas tower. Writing is what God put me on earth to do."
By the way, we know that during the time that this article was written, King was working hard on a book called Cannibals.  

8 comments:

  1. How cute do those two sound?

    Great find, David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to know exactly how Steve and Tabitha's view of writing differs in which respects, though maybe we were given half or all the answer when she says she can take of leave writing, while King says he can't.

    King's quote about what he'd be doing "Without writing" deserves just so much pause to observe the following: I'm a firm believer in writing as vocation as much as the next person but, c'mon, I mean get serious.

    For what it's worth, someone ought to have assured King that he is too fundementally non-agressive for such an undertaking, though I'll admit he might have been deeper in the throughs of addiction without writing. Maybe.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who gives a shit about this old crap? Only a lazy blogger who doesn't care about new and/or current Stephen King news!

    Well, to help fill this gap, check out this new story about Glen Mazzara being hired to write a ‘Shining’ prequel called ‘The Overlook Hotel’ for Warner Bros.

    http://www.slashfilm.com/glen-mazzara-to-write-shining-prequel-called-the-overlook-hotel/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if you're going to say things like that, you should at least have the fortitude to say so using your actual name. Being anonymous is for people who have no conviction.

      Delete
    2. Also, I'm sort of confused. I'll swear the info in the Slash film article is almost repeated verbatim of rumors that date as far back as 2011.

      I don't know if that qualifies as old, though it sure isn't new, and it all still sound (I hope it is) just rumor to me.

      ChrisC

      Delete
    3. The only bit of new info is that they've allegedly hired someone to write it. So essentially, you're correct on the old-news aspect. It's definitely more than rumor, though.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous should use his/her name.

    ReplyDelete