Reflections On IT miniseries


My kids and I watched IT the other day.  Their request, I promise.  "Won't you be scared of clowns?"  There was a resounding "NO!"  Sure enough, there was no fear in our house.  To quote a five year old, "Oh, IT. . . I love that show so much!"  I'm not sure she understood that the clown. . .

Some reflections:

1. IT falls into the "drama" category more than "horror."
2. IT is very much like Stand By Me.  We watched that the night before.  Both Bill D. in IT and Gordie in Stand by Me have lost a brother.  Both have become the invisible boy.  Both are told not to go in their brothers room.  Both are part of a larger club of losers. 
3. The special effects were not the best. --11 year old.
4. The first half is definitely stronger than the second.  I find it funny to listen to the commentary, which is all the adult actors.  They say things like, "The kid who played me. . ."  Huh?  Why not find out that kids name before doing the commentary?  I think the kids out performed the adults.  Both in individual scenes, and as a group, the kids shine.

Here's our rating:
5yr old: . . . doesn't understand ratings.  But in her book, it did not rise to the Indian In the Cupboard level of great.
8yr old: 4 out of 5
11yr old: 4 out of 5
Me: 3 out of 5  (But I read the book and so I know how awesome it could be)

All agreed that we wanted to give it a better rating, if only for the special effects.  One girl said, "all the lines were great!  But the special effects weren't so good."

Having watched this again, I am more excited about a movie version.  Something that leans more toward the scary.  Seriously, the werewolf was laughable!  And while Tim Curry was an awesome Pennywise, very energetic, I don't think he was scary.  I look forward to a true horror flick.

8 comments:

  1. I am listening to the audio book, as read by Stephen Webber and he is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've listened to about half of the audio book. yes, very good. But my car isn't mp3'd, so I have to wait to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie has its charms. On the whole, though, it feels cheap, and Richie manages to be even more annoying on screen than he was in the novel ... which is saying something.

    Any remake is almost certain to fail, unless they make it substantially longer. The novel is simply too large for it to succeed at a length of three hours or less. If it were made into a two-movie thing (as with "Deathly Hallows"), it might stand a shot at success. But really, even that would be cutting out a lot.

    I hate to keep bringing up HBO, but it seems like they've really set the standard for how to adapt a lengthy novel on film. Turn "It" over to them and give them two seasons of 20 or so episodes, and you might get something marvelous.

    Otherwise, odds are, you get exactly what you got from ABC in the '90s: something passable.

    I'd love to have that Steven Weber audiobook; that sounds promising. Might have to splurge on it once my Cemetery Dance 25th anniversary edition comes in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll say it: I hate the IT miniseries! It's just no good either acting wise (that shot of a frightened Jonathan Brandis with his hand to his cheek? Horrendous, absolutely horrendous) or especially effects wise. It just sucks. It's slow and boring and completely not scary. No, I was never afraid of Pennywise (although Tim Curry's performance is the only good one) or clowns in general from this movie. That came from Poltergeist. So I would actually like to see what they could do with an actual movie version. It has to be better than this garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. POLTERGEIST!!!!
    Yes, you are absoultely right! That clown was much more scary.
    And, of course, John Wayne Gacey. Know, Gacey painted a "Pennywise" clown -- but I chose not to put it on the blog -- because who wants to give a murderer any kind of publicity. Besides, Gacey painting Pennywise is just all out creepy, and not the good kind.

    It was good to see John Ritter in action -- but, alas, thegrilwholoveshorror is right on the money when she declares it all "Horrendous."

    But then again. . . my kids liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harsh, TheGirlWhoLovesHorror; harsh.

    But you're not wrong. It kinda DOES suck. Tim Curry is great, but in service of very little.

    However, I've talked to a lot of people who just love the movie, and it's because they saw it (and were terrified by it) when they were kids.

    Odd to say, but as a movie for children, I think it probably does work fairly well. David's got proof, even!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my proof is: The kids LIKE it, but they were not scared by it. go figure. But they like it A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm watching it and I love it I remember watching it at 8-10 years old it messed me up lol but a remake no way I'm sick of remakes! They always ruin it Tim Curry can only play pennywise he was brilliant and he chose and made the art people tone down the make up effects it worked great to me the other effects are cheesy but its 1990 I'll take bad effects with a great scary plot all day long

    ReplyDelete