Dark Tower Publicity

As we get ready for the release of another Dark Tower book, it's neat to glance back at the early days.  A fellow Constant Reader (David LaRochelle) recently sent me some pictures about a flyer/ mailing from Donald M. Grant Publisher. David explained the mailer to me:
It announces the publication of Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger. The mailing is printed on both sides with color photos on one side. It has a price list on it to order the book and others by the company at that time. This mailing is intact, meaning it has not been folded the way I assume it was meant to be for mailing as it has the publishing co. return address, postage paid 1st class permit and FIRST CLASS printed on it.
Now for a question, King readers. . . does anyone have any info as to exactly when it was printed, how many copies were produced and its worth ?








Pictures courtsay of: David LaRochelle.

4 comments:

  1. I remember reading about this limited edition back in Fear Magazine many years ago. I may still have that magazine and will have a look. It gave a complete history. Apparently King initially had trouble getting the work accepted by his publishers - I think that's how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to someday -- after I win the lottery, perhaps -- track down and buy the issues of F&SF the individual stories appeared in.

    I can't imagine how nuts it would have driven me to not be able to read that book for years. Horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have most of those F&SF magazines. But not the first one. I got out bid by less than a dollar on ebay. Crazy! But they are definately out there, and not really hard to get. (think $20-40 range for most).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really...? I've never bothered looking for them; that's far less than I'd expect.

    Cool! I'll have to add those to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete