The Mist rates "brilliantly depressing"


I enjoyed this article by Colin Covert titled, "Saluting some brilliantly depressing movies." Covert, writing for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, highlights The Mist as one of the brilliantly depressing movies.
.
You know, I've got to agree -- the Mist fits right into that title. It is both brilliant and depressing. And, wonderfully horrific!
.
Covert says, "the Stephen King horror novella "The Mist" becomes a classy, classic bummer in the hands of screenwriter/director Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption")."
.
Classic bummer! That's good. By the way, on Lilja's recommendation, I'm still planning to watch this in black and white. The next quote that really caught my attention:
.
The film is more focused on the flawed, fearful Maine townsfolk than the tentacled invaders, weaving an intense character study of how humans persevere -- or crumble -- in a hopeless situation.
.
That is true of King's word, it's more about character than monster. One family member mentioned recently how much they did not like the monsters in the mist. Crazy! In fact, The Mist is one of my favorite stories because of the monsters. The town folk, in some instances, don't really do that much for me -- like the religious freak. But the monsters... oh my, that is sweet stuff my friends. I mean, as a horror fan, how do you beat nasty flesh eating tentacles sweeping out from a heavy mist? How? -- You don't!
.
Covert says, "The finale is so shattering it's a wonder it ever wriggled through the studio system." Yeah, well, I'll just be quiet, since my views on that ending are already overstated.
.
Check out the entire article here:
.

No comments:

Post a Comment