Full Dark Journal 6: Fair Extension


I was excited to jump into Fair Extension, because so many have expressed that it was their favorite of the four Novella's in Full Dark No Stars. This one left me a little wide eyed. "Really!"
.
In order for our cancer ridden protagonist, Dave Streeter, to extend his life (and get rid of cancer), he makes a deal with the devil: He will pay a tithe of his income to George Elvid -- aka: The Devil. He must also "do the dirty" to someone else. That is, someone must pay for his life extension.
.
Theology:
I am again struck by the layers of theology here. Forgive me, I can't help it! Note: The concept of blood atonement (eye for eye, tooth for tooth, life for life), and the devil's price: 15%. A much steeper demand than the tenth (ie, tithing) demanded by God.
.
So the deal is: The price is higher, but if you can live with yourself, the dark "blessings" can be counted ahead of time. I mean, think about it; you serve God, and you have to trust him to take care of you. You give to God, and believe He will bless. But God chooses the blessing (unless you're into TV preachers). So you have to trust God to know what you really need. But the Devil (at least in Fair Extension), is ready to give you exactly what you think you need. The price is higher, but the exchange is clearly stated up front.
.
By the way, I don't think King is actually seeking to build a theology here. He's having fun. But he does it with skill and real depth.
.
FAIR!
Now here's the catch: The devil turns out to be a fair trader. It's crazy, but it works. Streeter faithfully pays his dues, and watches over the years as disaster rains down on his frenemy. Probably the strangest thing about the novella is that Streeter feels no guilt. None! In fact, he watches with inner glee as his friends life unravels. I really like this. The simple exploration of a man who is so totally self focused, he is incapable of human compassion.
.
For most of us, "doing the dirty" to someone else would take a huge toll on us emotionally. Even if we made the deal, we would experience intense guilt for bringing such harm on another person. But not Streeter! He's that rare creature who is perfectly matched to make a deal with the devil.
.
Would Streeter do it again? You betcha! In fact, he wants more! Picture poor Oliver Twist holding out his bowl to the devil, "Please sir, I want more."
.
NEEDFUL THINGS
.
Elvid reminds me very much of Leland Gaunt. Needful Things was one of my favorite novels. It was brilliantly executed, in my opinion. An entire town was spun in circles by the manipulations of one wicked store proprietor. Of course, in that story the characters felt deep shame for their dealings with the devil. And old Gaunt didn't play fair.
.
In Fair Extension, King narrows his focus. Instead of an entire town being the landscape, just one man and his relationships are looked at. I think it serves as a nice companion piece to Needful Things.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an English teacher and I used this story for literary analysis this week. They LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished reading 'Fair Extension'... But I have to say, I expected something more in the end. I keep asking myself what that would be, since the point of the story is exactly 'fair, devilιsh exchange'. I guess that's why I didn't enjoy it much... 'Needful Things' is a favourite one, and I also connected Elvid with Gaunt. During the whole time, I kept imagining him as the same person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did anyone else notice the similarity between Elvid's description (sharp teeth, clown with most of the makeup off) and Pennywise (the evil clown from IT)? Also, isn't Derry where that story took place?

    ReplyDelete