PEIRCE: I'm A Huge Stephen King Fan

kimberlypierce
photo credit: blog.seattlepi.com

Tim Hill has a great interview with Carrie director, Kimberley Peirce. Check it out at seattlepi.com.  What I really think is reflected in this interview is her passion for Stephen King and Carrie as the source material.  Maybe she should remake The Shining.

I also like it that Peirce clarifies that Carrie's mom is not practicing Christianity.  "She has her own iconography and as Carrie says, she changes things to mean what she wants."  That's pretty  insightful.  It can  be easy to mark an entire faith by the weirdo's who have twisted it up.  Carrie's mom falls in with David Koresh, Joseph Smith and the Westboro Baptist kooks.

My favorite lines (I'm picking and choosing -- read the context and full article at the link!)
  • I’m a huge Stephen King fan. I was a literature student so I read it when I was in college. I re-read it when they came to me to do the movie and I was blown away at what an amazing storyteller Stephen King is. 
  • I also love that it’s a Cinderella story. What does she want? Love and acceptance. When she’s asked to prom she can’t say no and we can’t say no. We’ve fallen in love with this Cinderella story. I think we want to take her to the height of the Cinderalla night and we crave seeing it turn on its head.
  • When I read the book, I see it in my minds eye as this largely entertaining story using superhero powers.
  • The difficult part of my job was figuring out how to put somebody’s face through a window. You can’t put an actor’s face through a window. So what do you do? A) You can put an actor’s face through sugar glass. B) You can put animation through fake glass. C) An actor can fly forward on a green screen. So that scene is a series of a ton of composites and that was really a blast for me.
  • One of my favorite lines in the movie is something that Julianne and I pulled out of the book. She says, “I’ll be the preacher, you be the congregation.” 
There is a LOT in this interview.  How many times did they film the blood droppin' scene and so on.  Of course, that raises a question. . . how effective is a movie where we all already know there is a blood dropping scene?  I hope they've saved some surprises.  She is asked if there will be a sequel, and does not give an answer.  Does that suggest Carrie survives the horror?

6 comments:

  1. "When I read the book, I see it in my minds eye as this largely entertaining story using superhero powers."

    Ummmm, well, my own take is that most (if not all) the main characters are pretty much self-destructive, and all of them are pulled like Carrie toward a magnet of self-destruction personified.

    It's about this girl who's a product of an essentially abusive environment, at home and school, and how she more or less assists that environment in it's own destruction.

    Still, we'll see what she does with it all.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh...

      "Have you thought about a sequel?

      KP: I couldn’t tell you the answer to that question. I will say, we love Carrie White and there’s a yearning to know more. It’s a superhero origin story."

      Uh...

      Delete
    2. "It's a superhero origin story."

      WTF? I've been checking Rotten Tomatoes for days, looking for early reviews of this movie, and there is nothing. While such embargoes aren't uncommon, they rarely bode well for the film in question. That "superhero" quote, and the implication that Carrie doesn't die at the climax, has me more worried than anything.

      I was also going to point out that the director's name is spelled wrong multiple times here – it is Peirce, not Pierce – but since it sounds like she is going to botch this classic SK story, i feel no need to defend her, or her oddly-spelled name.

      Delete
    3. She and Stephenie Myers should get married; then watch the hilarity as nobody on Earth ever spells the name Stephenie Peirce correctly.

      Like you, I took the interview to be an implication that Carrie will be surviving the movie, and I automatically began to assume that there was a major problem afoot. The 2002 remake went that route, and more or less botched it.

      But even if that IS where they're going with it, I'm willing to give it a chance. It's all in the execution.

      I'll know in about 36 hours.

      Delete
    4. It never hurts to be gracious. Logs before specs.

      Delete
  2. I did ask someone connected with the film publicity team where the reviews are. They said none were out yet. I've seen some positive articles on the movie. I plan to see it this weekend.

    I liked the 2002 remake. I've seen enough messed up kids get killed and take their own lives lately. I'm up for a happier ending for Carrie. Fed up with bullies picking on kids until they end their lives.

    ReplyDelete