Stephen King Errors

Does Stephen King ever get it wrong?  Sure.  And there is an entire website devoted  to chronicling those mistakes!  Gee, how comforting.  

check it out at www.horrorking.com.  The site is old, so some of the newer books are not listed.  However, it's a lot of fun.

I have to admit, I don't usually catch many mistakes.  It really bothered me reading Brian Keene's Darkness On The Edge Of Town, just how much detail everyone seemed to be able to see in the dark!  Especially in homes that were  lit by candles -- and the characters were seeing mustard stains on shirts.  

I also notice reading The Stand that Nick's ability to understand people seems to go way beyond lip reading.  He never misses a line.

Some examples, Did you know. . . 
  • In The Gunslinger (The Gunslinger, Chapter V) Roland sees, when he goes through Tull, three women wearing slacks. But in The Drawing of the Three (Prisoner Chapter 1, subchapter 6) he is shocked when he, through Eddie's eyes, sees a stewardess wearing trousers.
  • In Cujo it says that Evelyn Chalmers died on the 30th of June 1980. But in Needful Things Part 1, Chapter 2, subchapter 1, it says that she died in 1981.
  • In Chapter 9 of The Stand Complete, Nick broke one of his attackers nose, judging from the sound it made. A bit hard to judge this if you are deaf.
  • In The Stand Complete, 
  • Fran breaks her ankle and injures her back, when a sofa lands on top of her after the explosion. But later in the book, the broken ankle seems to have been forgotten. When Fran and the others visits Mother Abagail in Larry's home, Stu helps her inside and up the stairs, allegedly only because she has an injured back. And later, when Mother Abagail heals her, it is only the injured back that is mentioned as being healed.
And it goes on and on like this.  I might be gone a while reading all these -- because the nerd in me just can't get enough.

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, my firend, you have just tasted the waters of nerd know-it-all-hood. The classic syndrome that occurs when the man behind the curtain is revealed (har!).

    Incidentally, the reason I made that idle comment about Hamill was because he did the voice of the Joker on the Batman cartoon series, did a good job too.

    Here's a link to prove it that's Hamill's voice. Tell me this doesn't at least remind you of Pennywise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwbN3y587kw

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Curry was even originally cast as the joker for Batman the Animated Series. After he recorded 6 episodes, the producers thought the voice would be too scary for kids, so they recast Hamill and had him rerecord everything.

      Delete
  2. I found an anomaly in King's timeline in the Dark Tower -- even with its multiple timelines.

    In the Drawing of the Three, we are told Eddie Dean's older brother, Henry, comes back from Vietnam with a heroin addiction. Yet, later When Eddie goes to Jake of New York's 1977, he sees himself and Henry shooting hoops as kids.

    Henry would have had to have been at least 18 in 1972 to have been drafted and sent to Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve noticed a lot of “little things” in my current rereading of the DT books. This is about my 6-7 trip thru, and my first in a long time, so I find myself analyzing things more than I would at earlier stages—a lot of dissecting and annotating. Some are just lines that conflict—Eddie’s age comes to mind, as it seems to be different in several lines of The Drawing of the Three (and maybe The Waste Lands?), while others are things that just irk me. Whatever happened to the drugs Roland and Eddie were going to take BACK to Balazar? I know it’s not Eddie’s drug of choice, but wouldn’t he consider using that if the bags were left on the beach once he was stuck in Roland’s world? I know Roland says to take back exactly what was promised, but then things started getting rough for the duo and it was never really stated what happened.

    In The Waste Lands, walking through Lud, Susannah is carrying Roland’s gun in the clutch and Eddie is carrying Jake’s gun when they encounter Jeeves and some of the other Pubes, but when he defeats Blaine at the beginning of Wizard and Glass by shooting into the map screen he uses Roland’s ancient revolver.

    But my favorite is Roland’s hat. The Gunslinger (revised edition) says he lost it long ago with his horn, yet in The Waste Lands Susannah grabs his hat, caught in a gust of wind right after saving Oy and Jake from falling from the bridge, and jams it down on his head. The errors never take anything from my reading experience. I find them quirky and entertaining to catch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, I noticed the same thing with the drugs. A lot is made of them, moving them between worlds -- and then. . . ? nothing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, exactly! Every time I read DotT and get to that part I find myself flipping backwards to see if I overlooked what the outcome of Balazar’s drugs … even if it is a minor point.

    Another is when Roland/Mort spends so much time luring the cops into the gun shop, making a point to collect their weapons for Eddie and Susannah’s eventual use, then, later, running toward the subway train trying desperately to cling to the weapons. It’s there that they kind of disappear without mention. I know he was shot by the cop and on fire, etc., and that I should probably “assume” he just wasn’t grasping them as he leaps from Mort’s body … and therefore the weapons don’t follow him to his world … but (to my knowledge) there’s no mention of them slipping away. It’s a very minor, nitpicky thing, but one I think about whenever I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that with Dark TOwer, my head starts spinning! I love it, but someitmes I just hae to with the flow.

    You are so right, in the end it doesn't matter, but it's interesting to note. I see a lot of errors in The Stand -- mostly just that when it was revised that it still does not reflectthe 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot of the issues with DT is because the first four were written spaced so far apart. It seems logical that the minor errors would be there. I mean, given the length of 1-4, and the length of time for their completion, I’d think any author would find it difficult to keep every minor non-plot point straight, such as hats, etc. I bet books 5-7—which flow more like one solid book divided into three parts—(and Keyhole) don’t have as many discrepancies as the first four. I’ll be sure to note any I do find when I reach them—I’m about 2/3 of the way thru Wizard and Glass—just for the sake of curiosity. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete