Novels We Should Like

Stephen King wrote in a recent post at stephenking.com,
"I couldn't vote for Moby Dick. Everyone says it's great and blah-blah-blah, but I drown in whale-oil every time I try it. My bad, people, I admit it."
I've not read,  nor been tempted to read, Moby Dick.  It did ge tme to thinking about some novels I should like -- that everyone loves -- but I just don't.  Some books  have their own version of "whale-oil" that we  drown in.




  • Lord of the Rings.  I'm sorry. I sincerely, deeply apologize.  I know that for many of you, this is like saying you don't like Star Wars or something.  But I just have trouble with the whole fantasy genre.  I (gasp) think Lord of  the Rings is boring.  I KNOW, it's terrible of me to feel that way, I have great guilt about this and should probably see a doctor.  But I just can't get excited about three big novels about people walking around.  They walk and they walk and they walk and they walk -- they even walk with trees!


  • Bleak House,  by Charles Dickens.  I've started it many times, but only read about three pages of the giant book.  But, chalk it up to Dickens and my difficult  relationship.  I love him -- I hate him -- but mostly love.


  • Journey To The Center Of The Earth is a classic, but I couldn't get through it.  It just takes forever for them to get TO the journey.  Not only is there a lot of codes and maps and stuff, but then there are practice expeditions that suck up more space.  Yes, yes, once again -- very bad of me!  At some point I just wanted  Uncle Otto to get moving.  


  • The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.  I've read the novel many times, but I'm not excited  or moved by it.  So why have I read and reread it?  Because I want to be moved!  I want to like it.  I think the radio and movie adaptations were far better than their source material.  But Wells was working with a fresh idea -- living creatures from another  planet actually landing and attacking with incredible machines.  What's neat is that it is written before cars -- so there are Machine's moving about London chasing horses and carriages.  


  • Finally, The Talisman is a novel I have not been able to swallow yet.  It remains a book I've started so many times -- but have  yet to fall in love.  I'm not alone in this camp, George Beahm wrote in his original Stephen King Companion:


Try as I did on several occasions, I just couldn't get into the story.  Having read (and reread) virtually all the King novels  and a number of Straubs  novels, I find that The Talisman remains and oddity on my King bookshelf: The unread book.  (I might add that I felt the same way, initially about,about Tolkiens trilogy, Lord of the Rings.  On the third try, I got into the story and it swept me away.  When I finished, I was sorry that the story had ended.) 
I'll try again, of course, but what's interesting to me is that I'm not alone.  I've talked to other people  who read widely and deeply in and out of this field, people who have read all of King and all of Straub, and they either loved The Talisman or couldn't get into the story.
I wonder if he ever read it!  May I also point out that the novel's cover does nothing to make you want to read  the novel?!  Red and black swooshes with the author's names.  Rates right up there with Insomnia. Of course, Insomnia is a book I have not made it through -- I can't stay awake for it!

Novels that Surprised Me:



Here are some novels I did not plan to like -- but I was pleasantly surprised.

Both of George Orwell novels, Animal Farm and 1984, came as a surprise to me.  I find them delightful, and did not plan to.  1984 is dark, heavy and at times slow moving -- but as a teen I thought it was brilliant.  I think I liked Animal Farm just because the entire idea of animals throwing the farmer off his farm and running the place with delightful.

Of Mice and Men grabbed me from the get go and never let me go.  The story is short, well written (like anything by Steinbeck) and unforgettable.  Written like a play, each section is set up with narration, and then is carried primarily by dialogue.  It's an easy read.  And it's an emotional roller-coaster.  I read it out loud to my Grandmother.

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Anne  Burns was a shock.  I bought it on audio as a teenager, not knowing what it was.  But back then, audio tapes were rare, so it meant I listened to things I might not otherwise choose.  The first time I read it was on audio, and abridged version. This was in the days when abridgments were only three hours!  I read it again in print, and then later on an unabridged  audio edition.  It's great!  Not  Pillars of the Earth great, but great.  It is where I learned the country phrase, "Boy Howdy!"

Finally, I was surprised by Paul Sheldon's novel, Misery's Return. In fact, I didn't like it at all when I first started.  I wanted the story to stay focused on Paul and his dealings with Annie.  But as the novel went  on, I was drawn in.  Having the girl buried alive might have helped!

What books  should you like. . . but don't?  And, what books surprised you?

11 comments:

  1. "The Talisman" is one of my absolute least-favorite King novels. The tone is all over the place, and I simply don't believe in the idea of a boy traveling cross-country on a quest in modern America. I don't buy it. I'm not saying it couldn't be done; I'm saying that I don't buy it within this particular novel. Like the scene at the bar where Jack ends up in indentured servitude for a while. Why would anyone do that to a young boy and risk the jailtime that would almost certainly be the result?

    I've never tried "Moby-Dick," but I want to someday. I'm tempted to cheat and find the Frank Muller audiobook and call that good enough. Hmm; that's an idea, that...

    I hear you on the subject of "The Lord of the Rings," and sympathize. It is not exactly beach-chair reading, that's for sure. I'm not even sure I'd say Tolkien was a good writer, in the sense of his ability to string together a compelling sentence followed by another followed by another. On the other hand, the depth of his imagination is so profound that I really don't mind the novel being boring (which it is); it rewards patience.

    And if you're not a fan of that one, do yourself a favor and never attempt "The Silmarillion." It will break you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for books that I should like and don't, I suppose I'd have to single out William Faulkner. Now, granted, the only one I ever tried to read was "Absalom, Absalom," but I found it to be so annoying that if I had the opportunity to do so, I would go back in time and prevent him from ever writing a word. I'd find him gainful employment as a ... I don't know what exactly, but it's be some career where he was never allowed to write a single word.

      I also found my single John Updike experience to be a miserable one. That was "Rabbit, Run," I think; I don't care quite enough to do the research necessary to be sure, but I think that's what it was called. A terrible, pretentious mess; that's the salient thing here, not the actual title.

      As for books that surprised me ... well, the first thing that comes to mind is Owen King's story collection, "We're All In This Together." In all honesty, I only bought that book because I felt as though I needed to show some fealty to the King family's next generation. I expected nothing from it, but instead got a collection of very good stories. Owen King isn't a horror writer, so I'm hesitant to recommend his work to fans of his father, the way I do with Joe Hill. But I like his work quite a lot, and am looking forward to his novel in 2013.

      Along the same lines, I felt the urge to demonstrate a bit of fealty to the second generation of Straubs, so I recently bought "Other People We Married," the story collection by Peter's daughter Emma Straub. I'm halfway through; it is fan-freakin'-tastic. She's a marvelous writer.

      Other than those examples, nothing comes to mind.

      Delete
    2. Oh, dear. I could not disagree more, both on The Talisman and The Lord of the Rings. I loved both.

      I do wonder sometimes if my appreciation for Tolkien comes from the fact that he practically raised me. My father prizes Tolkien perhaps a shade less than the Bible itself, and considers Tolkien not just one of the greatest writers of all time, but THE greatest fantasy writer who ever has or will live.

      That said, while I don't prize LOTR quite that highly, and do in fact think that elements of it have aged poorly, to suggest that it's just "people walking around" strikes me as a pretty ignorant comment. It almost seems like you didn't really read it, or that while you approached it with a mindset of "a book that long not written by Stephen King can't NOT be boring" and therefore made up your mind about it before you even began.

      Both of you are (a little) older than me. You are clearly men capable of abstract thought. Please, I implore you to read this again. I don't know how old either of you were when you read it the first time, but it sounds like it's in the pretty distant past for both of you. As you're both in your 40's now, and quite mature readers, I can't imagine you'll come away thinking of it as boring.

      But then, tastes vary. So, I could be wrong.

      But, David, you've written off the entire fantasy genre based on one book! Please, don't do that! Fantasy is far more than "people walking around". I grant you, there are a lot of sub-par fantasy books out there by authors who figured aping Tolkien was the key to success and thus, wrote quest story after quest story, but the list of those who did that is actually rather short (though they were prolific and therefore flooded the market). I highly recommend George RR Martin, Joe Abercombie, Steven Erikson, Chris Wooding and Matthew Woodring Stover's "Heroes Die". Wonderful stuff, and I think all of that would appeal to King fans.

      Delete
    3. Lest my comments misrepresent my stance on Tolkien, I'll clarify: "The Lord of the Rings" is easily one of my favorite novels. But I do see how someone would be bored to tears by it.

      As for "The Talisman," I'm not a fan at all. The tone is all over the place, and the fantasy is nearly smothered to death as a result. Plus, the styles of King and Straub don't match well at all. Not in my opinion.

      Delete
    4. No, I understand that taste is subjective. What I primarily want the takeaways from what I wrote to be:

      1) Fantasy is far, far more than "just people walking around" and

      2) To judge the entire genre of fantasy by LOTR is the wrong move. There are plenty of fantasy novels that are nothing like LOTR.

      Delete
  2. I have not read Owen King yet,but plan to. Also want to read Horns. . . but now am just waiting for the movie !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, don't wait; in this instance, that would be a mistake. ESPECIALLY with your religious qualifications.

      Now that I think about it, I think I am going to triple-dog-dare you to read that book before the movie comes out. It seems necessary!

      Delete
  3. Well, I am finishing Misery. . . maybe I'll read Horns. But I'm not really a "fan" of the King's when it comes to religion -- I don't want to be annoyed for a few hundred pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of those people who will plug away at a book he doesn't like, sometimes seeing it as a grudge match.

    I absolutely could not finish Dean Koontz's In the Dark of the Night. Reading Dragon Tears put me off Koontz for years. Koontz has written some fine books, but he's written a lot of crap too.

    With King, I almost didn't get through Lisey's Story, but I stuck it out.

    I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings.

    Ernest Cline's Ready Player One surprised me. I was skeptical because The dude is a poet and most poets make horrible story tellers. It ranks as one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still haven't gotten through The Gunslinger, or any other Dark Tower book. Don't know if I ever will.

    One of the "classics" that I thought I would hate but ending up totally loving was Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. LOVE that book. I haven't read that one in many years, though, maybe I need to get a refresher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it by Stephen King is an overrated book, some people thing is his magnum opus but for me is a boring book, specially the 50's stuff

    books I shoud like but don't The steppenwolf by Herman Hesse, The maltese falcon by Dashiell Hammet, I can't finished those, A hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...

    surprise were the fantasy stories of Jorge Luis Borges and Julio Cortazar

    Francisco

    ReplyDelete