Post Tribune: King Fan Interview

This is a really neat interview! Dave Gard is a town councilman who has endured great loss -- but, as the interview reveals, his faith has helped him cope. And. . . he's a big Stephen King fan! And, how appropriate! I mean, his name is "Gard" (Tommyknockers.)


The interview opens with this quote from The Shawshank Redemption, “I guess I just miss my friend.”

Here is a little bit of the interview:

“I basically read to clear my mind. Now, I pretty much read when I travel. If I fly from here to California, I’ll finish a 600-page paperback on the way there and another one on the way back.”
Favorite Stephen King novel?
“ ‘The Stand,’ without a doubt; I’ve read it a dozen times.”

Favorite movie?
“ ‘The Shawshank Redemption.’ I’m absolutely powerless to change the channel when it comes on the TV, no matter where it starts. I cannot change the channel. I know every line.”

Why is he powerless in the face of Shawshank Redemption? The end of the article explains it -- "Dave Gard is a religious man. He told me his faith is what gets him through rough times. He doesn’t know how people can live without faith. You see, Dave lives alone now. He’s not only a guy who lost his father and brother at young ages, he also lost his best friend, the mother of his children. Debbie died of ovarian cancer on Oct. 31, 2006."

Check out the whole thing at: http://posttrib.suntimes.com/5293363-537/jeff-manes-keeping-faith-when-times-get-tough.html

No comments:

Post a Comment